Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Diamond-Obabika loop and Prov Park permit < Previous Next >

Link to this message

th1amigo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 7:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi. Friend and I may be doing the Diamond-Obabika loop starting and ending at Ferguson Bay mid August, for 5 nights. If we start around 1:30-2pm (and take Napolean's portage), how far are we likely to get first day - say we want to stop around 6pm or so? Would we likely get into Sharp Rock Inlet or possibly Diamond?

I'd think the second night possibly Wakimika, 2 nights on Obabika and last night on Temagami. Does this sound about right? I've never done this loop and am also trying to figure out how many nights we'd need to get a prov park permit for.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 4:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Your plan sounds about right. It should be easily doable to make it to diamond the first night, if not no big deal as there are a couple campsites in Sharp Rock you'll pass on the way. There are lots of nice campsites a short paddle into Diamond, one should be available in mid August.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 8:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

th1amigo... you are pushin' it and NOT enjoying the country. You will be WORN OUT and ready to
go back to work after this trip. How can you enjoy this north country on a 5 day schedule???

You should plan a day at the west end of Diamond at a campsite on the south side of the esker. The old sawmill is directly to the north and there are still a bunch of sleds and old rusted equipment to explore above the sandy beach.

Go slowly, my friend, and enjoy the loons and the night sky and the whispy summer breezes. We have not that much time in this world to rush through God's Country to relish the fruits of this great country! (Stretch it to at least 7-10 days if you can. }
 Link to this message

th1amigo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 9:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well, those are exactly the types of responses I like to read. Although I know we can do the loop in 5 nights (start Saturday early afternoon, end Thursday early afternoon), we definitely don't want to make it too rushed. If it will be, I think we may choose plan B. Unfortunately, 5 nights is all we have.

Do most people think this loop is too hurried for the amount of time we have? We've never done it so would like to explore a bit and, yes, appreciate the scenery. However, it just looks like a pretty awesome loop and I'm not sure we'll ever have more time. Have to do it once!

Our backup plan is to start at the Central Access Rd and head to Obabika. Spend some time there and perhaps 1 or 2 nights on L Temagami.

Opinions, suggestions are welcome.
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, it would be nice to extend the trip......isn't that true always ;)

But you have it right for the number of days. And I don't think you're pushing all that hard except for the first push from Ferguson into Diamond late in the day. But as was posted above, no big deal if you stop in Sharp Rock instead.

You can make it all the way across the SR portage, west on Diamond and into Wakimika if needs be the next day. Or stop at that nice site in Western Diamond ........ plenty of options :-)
 Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You posted as I was writing.....

"Explore a bit" has a varied meaning. With 5 nights as you posted in your original itinerary it seems like you'll really only have one day (in between the two nights on Obakika) that aren't pretty full with trekking and portaging.

But for me, the act of moving about in a canoe and just looking around while paddling is enjoyable. And you won't be beating yourself with hard portages on this route. The only one of any substance is into Wakimika from Diamond and even that's not too bad.

And I definately pefer the loop you have outlined to just coming in at the mine landing and heading to Obabika.
 Link to this message

th1amigo

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the pointers and info.

Where would we need to have a prov park permit? Sounds like we may need permits for one or two nights.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1224

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

If you haven't already see this page, it will probably will answer your questions about permits:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Canoeing/parks. htm
 Link to this message

th1amigo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ah, no, I hadn't seen that page. Thanks. That should do it.
 Link to this message

th1amigo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have a couple more questions regarding the loop we're planning on doing. How navigable is the river leading from Wakimika Lake to Obabika Lake? Is portaging required through parts of that section or is it relatively wide enough to canoe the entire section?

Are water levels normal in this area this year?

Is the parking lot turn to Sand Flats easily marked off Red Squirrel Rd?
http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_atlas_sandy.htm

(Message edited by th1amigo on July 27, 2010)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home