Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Planning a Canoe Trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, July 26, 2010 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great site! Found lots of great information. My wife and I started canoeing 2 years ago and we just can't get enough of it! I am currently planning a canoe trip to Maple Mountain. Unfortunately due to several knee surgeries ,I am limited to the number and length of portages I can do. The route that I have tentatively selected would consist of my starting point being to put in at Sandy Inlet, South to Ferguson Bay, up the North Arm of Temagami Lake, through the Upper Narrows, to Sharp Rock Inlet, portage to Jack Ladder to Diamond Lake, up to Lady Evelyn, to Sucker Gut, to Hobart and then on to Tupper Lake. Would this route be possible in 6 to 7 days or will we need a few days more? We will also be taking our 9 year old daughter. If anyone has done this particular route or has any information to give me about the route , it would be greatly appreciated. Also I would like to know where would be the best place to put in at Sandy Inlet?
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 259

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 8:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Three days in and three days out sounds like ample time to reach Maple Mt. and return. The only caution I would offer is the potential for being wind bound or venturing into big wind, in particular into Ferguson Bay and crossing Sharp Rock.

There is only one access point at Sandy Inlet. Search this site for more detail if you are uncertain of how to get there.

http://ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_atlas_ sandy.htm
 Link to this message

bearfart

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Climbing Maple Mountain is wonderful but could be very unpleasant with a bad knee.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks alscool for the info it's greatiy appreciated. Where abouts is the access point at Sandy Inlet.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Your right bearfart I might just enjoy it from the bottom.
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi crash - I am leaving this Sunday to do that very trip in 6 days. As was mentioned by alscool, the main concern is the wind. I think it will be doable though (I am prepared to night paddle <g>). When are you going?
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 3:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

sorry to sound negative, but I believe there is a current thread on the impracticality of getting to Maple Mountain. Three groups mentioned low water and bushpilot flew over the are recently reporting extremely boggy conditions.
Although visible from afar, getting there may be tough. Upper Sucker Gut and the shallows approaching the trail. Good Luck, watch the knee.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey fireman thanks for the info. This will be our first long trip.If I don't get to Maple Mountain I'm ok with that. I'm sure the trip will still be worth it. Thanks again.
 Link to this message

crash

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 5:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey sjfwhite where are you putting in? I'll looking to go up on the second week of August.Have a safe trip.
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 11

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are starting this Sunday and will be back on the Friday after (my son and I). We are going to be putting in at Ferguson Bay. If I can manage, I will post a trip report when I get back on the Friday night and let you know how the access to Maple Mountain is. I'm going to search for the thread that fireman reported and I appreciate his heads up on this! Enjoy your trip, crash!
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

fireman - would you mind posting a link to that discussion? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/27019. html?1280275473
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 13

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks canoedog! Reading now :-)

I see bushwacking and wading in my future...
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The portage from Temagami to Diamond is short, but rocky & uneven. Something of an ankle twister and likely a bit of a hassle for your knee. Just a quick heads up, strap on the brace and watch your footing.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, July 30, 2010 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

On the west side of the north arm of Diamond Lake, as you approach the pullover into Lady Evelyn Lake...if you examine the rock walls closely, you will find very feint petroglyphs. Small, yes, but very cool in an understated way.
Have a wonderful trip, I'll be following in your tracks later.
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, fireman is right about this site on Diamond. Saw them the first time myself two years ago and being of First Nations heritage, I put down some tabacco....a respectful gesture for anyone to undertake, no matter what race you are. Incidentally, they are "pictographs" (ocre paintings on rock), not "petroglyphs" (carvings into a rock surface). Have a good trip!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home