Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 17, 2010 * Owain Lake/Grand Campment canoe route? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

awills

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2010 - 6:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi folks.

I'm going to be heading up to Temagami for what sounds like the busiest week of the season, the first week of August. And, like everyone else, I'd love to hit that sweet spot of a route that's both maximally beautiful and minimally populated. I have about a week for the trip and have received one suggestion for something like the following:

- Anima Nipissing
- Whitewater
- Little Eagle/Eagle/Turner
- Cole/Lynx/Aston
- Whitefish/Ferguson
- Red Squirrel
- Carrying/McLean/Anima Nipissing

That seems to be right in the thick of things, though...are we likely to get much solitude? Any thoughts on how nice the route is or if it's long enough for 7 days? Other suggestions? I don't mind brutal portages if they'll take me somewhere that makes it worth the work.

Also, I was one of the folks who took part in the blockades at Owain Lake in '96, and I was thinking of driving down Rabbit Lake Road for a little walk down memory lane. Does anyone know if there are any options for canoe routes over there, maybe somewhere near the Grand Campment Bay Trail area? If so, would it be worth passing up a trip in Temagami proper?

Thanks so much - any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 42

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've spent lots of time in the Muskego area, and it is seldom busy. The portages are all very rough, and unmaintained so be prepared to spend a little extra time searching for the axe blazes on the trees!

It is a very nice area, with some very beautiful scenery: beautiful cliffs on Eagle, gorgeous rocky island campsite on Turner.

An alternate way in to Eagle from Anima-Nip exists through Harris and Shallow Lakes. It is a very scenic trip. Even the portages are enjoyable (from a scenic perspective)

Definitely a solid week long trip. Be prepared for some long days, and please post a report when back!

Simon
 Link to this message

awills

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 6:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Simon. That's just the confirmation I was looking for. Any thoughts on doing the trip clockwise vs. counter clockwise?

And thanks for the tip on Harris and Shallow Lakes. Would you say to pass through Turner-Cole-Lynx-Aston, or might there be time/reason to pop over in the Avery-Barter-Isbister direction? Sounds like maybe that'd be really pushing it time-wise?

I'd still love to hear if anyone has any ideas about travel east of 11 that might go through or near Owain Lake. Greatly appreciated.

Anna
 Link to this message

awills

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2010 - 6:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

And I'll be sure to post a report - it's been so helpful being able to read everyone else's! What a great resource.
 Link to this message

kavik2

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 9:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi there, just so you know, we will be with a large group (5 tents) travelling thru some osf those lakes on the following dates:
Walsh L.- Aug 10th
Turner L. - August 11th
Little Eagle - August 13th
Anima Nip - Aug. 14th
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 43

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 1:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As you head west from Eagle Lake the travel gets progressively more difficult. Isbister and nearby lakes are beautiful, but this area sees very little traffic. The portages are difficult to find, and generally overgrown. The sites as well take a little extra work to clean up before they are useable.

I think that unless your group enjoys pushing really hard, stick with the Turner through Cole route.

Simon
 Link to this message

awills

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 3:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the heads up kavik2 -- sounds like we'll just miss each other. We'll be sure to leave our sites nice and clean!

Will do, Simon, thanks. I sure appreciate all the info.
 Link to this message

kavik2

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2010 - 8:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi AWills, and if perchance we arrive at a site before you, we'll leave it nice and clean too.

Plus, my hubby likes to leave a parcel of nice dry kindling in a protected spot, just in case for the next visitor... Keewaydin-like courtesy I am told... - Stephanie

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home