Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Wasaksina lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 10:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello folks,

Thinking about an overnighter with my wife into wasaksina lake. I see the easiest access is off the Temagami Access Rd into boatline bay. About 4-5 km in off the highway it crosses the Tetapaga River. Anyone know if there is parking there? Or, my "Backroad Mapbook" shows a road to the left, maybe less than a km before the bridge/culvert, that seems to go down to Iceland Lake. Anyone know about the condition of this road (I drive a RAV4)? Any other info about the route down into Wasaksina would be appreciated too...ie, water levels, topography, motorboat traffic in there, if any, fishing, etc? Thanks
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, August 1, 2010 - 9:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm back....

Went in today to Wasaksina...didn't stay overnight afterall....bad weather forecast. For anyone who hasn't been I recommend it...great scenery with no development on the way in, nor on wasaksina, pristine shorelines but it looks like a fire burned around the lake at one time, anyone know?

Only a few motor boats, mostly paddlers. As for that short road in to the launch on Iceland Lake, yes it's there (less than a half km before the bridge on your left) but it's 800 meters in and a rough ride..."definitely" need a vehicle with some clearance (ours has 7.5" and couldn't have done it with less). 4 wheel drive won't hurt either and don't go if you're worried about your vehicle getting some clear coat scratches, maybe deeper ones. Instead, you can put in at the bridge at the access road and paddle upstream (slow moving water) to Iceland but not sure if there are obstructions/pull-overs etc. And you'd have to leave your vehicle somewhere beside the "highly visible" access road...maybe not too safe, or maybe safer, depending on how you look at it. Cheers!
 Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, August 2, 2010 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just seeing on the "Backroads Mapbook" that further down (west) on the Access Road, about 3 km past the Tetapaga River, there is another road going in, all the way down to the northwest corner of Wasaksina, then loopiong back up to the Access road near the end of Shiningwood Bay. Anyone know about the condition of this road for vehicles larger than ATVs?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home