Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Black Flies < Previous Next >

Link to this message

shmerm

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, August 1, 2010 - 1:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a recent update on blackflies around now. Are they still in full force?
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, August 2, 2010 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Water is very low... just returned from Temagami... NO BUGS!!! There are some deer and horseflies... Very few mosquitos... no blackflies at all... although by this time there aren't any... they usually finish up by the end of June/early July...
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, August 3, 2010 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Blackflies this late in the season? Mossies at dawn/dusk & horseflies/deerflies during the heat is what I'd expect. Blackflies are typically done by July.
 Link to this message

shmerm

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, August 9, 2010 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Our last canoe trip was two years ago in Wabakimi and we were slaughtered at this time of year due to an unusual season. So we never take our chances anymore and always ask! ;)
 Link to this message

pine_tree_point

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 4:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just got back from a week and a half on the North Arm. No bugs!! Water was low but great temp for swimming.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 863

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 6:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We might get the "second coming" of the black flies perhaps starting in a few weeks.....Last year they were out again in early September and in force again by the end of September.
 Link to this message

kayamedic

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Do those bite too or simply swarm? We get five BF hatches a season but the last four are sterile so the lady is not looking for blood.

BTW Newfoundland has serious BF biting now. For those of you contemplating a Labrador trip in August. Take DEET.

(Message edited by kayamedic on August 16, 2010)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 865

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 7:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

They were biting last September. I was camped out in Temagami Area near the end of the month and I had not brought any Deet with me.The temperatures and weather in general had held up well throughout September, following a very wet Summer.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home