Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Trip with kids advice < Previous Next >

Link to this message

shedco

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 3, 2010 - 9:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello all - been checking in on this forum for years but this is the first time I'm finally heading up to Temagami.

I'm heading up next week and am trying to decide on a route and thought I'd ask for advice.

The trip is three nights four days. It's myself and my eight year son and a friend and his eight year old daughter. Both kids are seasoned trippers - we've both been taking our kids out since they were in diapers.

I'm working off the Canoeing in the Temagami area map (I did read Hap's book ages ago, but don't currently have it or access to it before we leave). I'm considering three routes:
- Route #8 on the map which leaves the town of Temagami, goes down through Rabbit, up through Lower and Upper Twin, across Highway 11 through Iceland and back
- Route #9 - Anima Nipissing access road, through Whitefish Bay, Ashton, up into the little lakes around Eagle and Little Eagle, through Whitewater Lake to Anima Nipissing and back
- central Temagami access road Shiningwood Bay to Wasaksina, to Cross and out.

I've read through some of the threads on these routes but thought I'd ask straight out for advice - any thoughts are welcome.

For more context, I usually average around 15 - 20 km./day when with my son - so we're pretty laid back, but can handle a reasonable amount. Portages not a huge deal, both kids love them and the other dad and I usually tackle them in one shot. We'll be taking two canoes, so with all due respect to the paddling skills of our children, we'll basically be soloing - so wind could be an issue.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any thoughts. Can't wait!
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 1:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

have not done the stretch from rabbit to nw arm of temagami (twin lakes route) but i did the town of temagami/rabbit lake part last year on the way to the matabitchuan r. and it is nice but busy, quite a few motorboats and definitely wind-prone with a "wind tunnel" effect if there is anything like a stiff breeze from north or south... the twin lakes route sounds fairly arduous in wilson's description- he gives it (the entire route 8 that is) 3-4 days which i have learned to translate as five or six days at my preferred pace and allowing for a rain/wind or relaxation/exploring day.
route 9 is quite varied and interesting, an excellent introduction to the north part of l. temagami, but personally i would give it an extra day or two as well.
temagami/wasaksina/cross is obviously all lakes, great scenery and good swimming all the way, portages are easier and i would say it can be done comfortably in your time frame. for some reason i've never had a problem with wind in that area but...
anyway whichever way you choose i hope you have a great trip.
 Link to this message

shedco

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 4:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Very helpful - thanks grncnu

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home