Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Water levels & portages? (Diamond-Obabika Loop) < Previous Next >

Link to this message

kidsmiley

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone has recently done this route. I am planning to do it in a few weeks time and would like to know whether it is feasible to do in 5 days time. I am also curious about some of the narrower and shallower areas such as the water level in the Obabika Inlet. Is the water level very low and if so is it still "canoeable."

Also what are the campsites like these days?

Dan

Link to this message

maramar

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Dan,

I was in the Inlet 2 years ago and water level was not a problem at all...just weedy at the take-out to go to Obabika, but easily traversable. As for "5 days"...well as a green 17yro tripper in 1986, the assoc director of Keewaydin took me and 2 others (in 2 canoes) on a very similar route (starting at Keewaydin, through the Inlet to Obabika, through Shish-kong up to Diamond, down through Sharp Rock back to Keewaydin) in 2 days...so yup, 5 should be plenty.
 Link to this message

jonebgood

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We canoed in and out of the Obabika inlet and on Obabika Lake in late July this year. Although Lake Temagami and Obabika Lake levels are low (down about a foot or foot & half below normal) there is still lots of water for a canoe. The portage from O Inlet to O lake is flat, wide and easy, but the O Inlet side is very muddy (black ooze) due to low water. Pause for a swim on the O Lake side. Sandy bottom, clear water. Great campsites on Lake O. Avoid camping too close to portage to O inlet as cabin on opposite shore may intrude on your wilderness experience. (Boomer's party-mix music at night)

Sunrise on Lake Obabika

Link to this message

kidsmiley

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 1:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the input thus far. Just to clarify, I am referring to whole route from Sandy Inlet to Diamond Lake to Wakimika Lake to Obabika Lake to Lake Temagami and back to Sandy Inlet.

Link to this message

dergon_darkhelm

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 3:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah ----5 days is plenty there. You're giving yourslef some extra built in
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, August 9, 2010 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just got back from doing a Diamond-Lady Evelyn loop and the water levels are down considerably. I would estimate 3 feet lower on Lady Evelyn. Didn't go down into Obabika but would guess it would be effected as well.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home