Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Canton Lakes - water levels etc < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mad_t_house

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 4:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Though similar to other postings we are looking at canoeing from Sharp Rock inlet through the Canton Lakes to Bob Lake and then back via Diamond Lake in about a weeks time. The concern is again over the water levels through the Canton Lakes

Also are there any sandy beaches or should we go down to Obabika Lake for swimming etc (we travel with 3 kids and we like to find at least one campsite where they can play around for a day or so).

Thanks - this forum is great.

Dee
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 5:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

No sandy beaches in Canton Lakes I'm familiar with, straight line from Diamond through to Obabika. CheeSkon has a nice jump-in right off the site. Obabika has an amazing beach at the end of the portage.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 8:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

did the route you are referring to (sharp rock to obabika via bob)2 years ago. water levels should not be a problem as there is very little creek travel that i can recall.
as for beaches i'd agree with the previous poster, you'll have to wait till the north end of obabika. however the nice beach campsite is actually a few hundred metres west of the campsite at the end of the portage (which is also an exellent site and the start point of the old-growth trails). saw a moose there once.
you might also want to camp on the last lake before obabika- the one with the amazing cliffs, which i believe are a native spiritual site (the trail also goes there, to the top of the cliff, which is thereby accessible from this campsite- which also has excellent swimming off flat rocks. i'm not sure but this may be the lake preacher refers to as chee-skon.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 5, 2010 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

whoops,i just noticed you did say bob to diamond- still, i think if you want the beach you're still looking at obabika.
 Link to this message

mad_t_house

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 6, 2010 - 11:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks all - looks like the trip is on

Dee

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home