Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Red Squirrel Lake Road < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mad_t_house

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 6, 2010 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi

Just wondering about the condition of Red Squirrel Lake Road for minivans - using the "rough road" to access Ferguson Bay. Also is there parking available.

Thanks

Dee
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 264

Posted on Friday, August 6, 2010 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is it a Dodge? Just kidding!

Washboard is the worst of the Red Squirel Rd.
The access road is a bit rougher with large depressions usually filled with water, but no issue. Ample parking
 Link to this message

preacher

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, August 6, 2010 - 3:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Driving down to the parking lot is an adventure. Know where your wheels are.
 Link to this message

micmac

Post Number: 106

Posted on Saturday, August 7, 2010 - 7:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've just returned from a trip down the Red Squirrel Lake Road - it's very rough this year - worse than I remembered it...
I put in at Red Squirrel Lake, where there is lots of parking (and a veritable trailer park, unfortunately...) but at least there are people around to watch your car.
If you decide to drive right to Ferguson Bay, the last little bit of road is almost impassable: huge ruts, mud holes, etc...
My suggestion is to park at Red Squirrel Lake, but if you need to get to Ferguson Bay, you could always park further up the road, before it gets really bad, and just portage your gear a little further.
My two cents...
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, August 9, 2010 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just got back as well - the road to the parking lot was fine for a van. However, as mentioned, the parking lot is treacherous. I made it in all the way in a Dodge Nitro without bottoming out so it is navigable in a truck. There were a lot of vehicles down there so, with care, a van could probably make it.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home