Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Sturgeon River Water Levels < Previous Next >

Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 6:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi folks - planning my second trip of the season and was going to focus this time on Chiniguchi (starting on Maskingonge and going to Donald the first night, second night at Evelyn Lake, 3rd night at the Sturgeon River (near where Halleck Creek meets the Sturgeon) and then down to Lower Goose Falls and back to Maskinonge. Considering the really low water levels I just experienced in Temagami, should I expect similar conditions on the Sturgeon River? My recollection of the Sturgeon River south of Lower Goose Falls (particularly leading up to the Kelly Portage) was that the water was already pretty low (experiences from 30 years ago - sh*t I am getting old). Has anyone been on that stretch this season? Thanks!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1228

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The whole area has low water. However, the Sturgeon below Lower Goose is a deeper river than that above. You should have little trouble south of the falls.
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian - glad to hear that it is navigable. Do you know if the portages back to Maskinonge are still clear or is the Kelly portage the best route? Thanks again!

Steve
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1229

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The portages, as marked on the Ottertooth map, are clear.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/kellys-routes.htm
 Link to this message

sjfwhite

Post Number: 21

Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 2:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Excellent! Thanks Brian!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home