Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Matagamasi to Kettle Falls < Previous Next >

Link to this message

splashdancer

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 8:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We've not travelled this area before and I'm wondering if the 550m from Backdoor is clear? If not clear what can we expect to bush whack and maybe clear? I'm also wondering about the Sturgeon River levels from there to the portage back into Stouffer Lake are doable? If the river levels are too low I would consider just doubling back at Backdoor and taking the middle tracks for the return trip and a change of scenery.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 266

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 2:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I recall a recent trip report that said it was rough on the last port to Kettle Falls area, though I don't know if that was here or on another paddling forum.

Below is an interesting discussion of the Backdoor Route. I would say it needs more use.

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/18255. html
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1230

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 4:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The last port is no longer a problem after someone went through and cleaned it up, since that discussion. This is not a bushwhacking route.

As for the water levels you ask about on the Sturgeon River, though I haven't done that section this summer, others have. As I recall they said there were a couple of short sections below Hazel that they had to get out and walk the canoes through. Nothing of significance. That's farther downstream.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 70

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 8:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

splashdancer,

In June, on our way to Kettle, we discovered that the river area between Backdoor and Mudding was un-passable due to low (non-existent water). See here for a picture:

http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/messages/3/26973. html#POST13563

We turned around and got on the Sturgeon from Stouffer to make our way up to Kettle and then Ghoul.

Link to this message

splashdancer

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've posted also on your thread regarding the portage between Mudding and Backdoor. My map shows a portage between the two lakes of 300m. Were you unable to locate the start? How was the upstream travel on the Sturgeon to Kettle Falls?
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 72

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just responded to your mudding/backdoor question there.

Travel on the sturgeon to kettle was fine.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home