Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Shortcut between Hamlow Lake and Sturgeon River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1231

Posted on Friday, August 13, 2010 - 4:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Over the years there has been lots of frustration over the three routes between Hamlow and the Sturgeon. Stull Creek can be a nightmare and the road is one of the longest ports in Temagami.

I just walked the old nastawgan (use stopped when a portion was clear-cut in 1971). Someone has cleaned it up and what a pleasure over the alternative grunts. Highly recommend it.

Click on the box around Hamlow Lake:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 3a.htm
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

wow, that is nice to hear. especially as it is the original old trail (nastawgan). a tip of the hat to whoever did the deed, they should be given a lifetime exemption from the stupid camping fee...
hopefully the stull creek route will still be used in appropriate conditions as it is well worth the effort. when we did stull creek in 94 there was an old campsite somewhere about halfway up on the west side, back aways from the creek and uphill from one of the short portages. we didn't camp there but i always regretted it as it was a superb spot. it was a real campsite with an old fire ring that looked like it hadn't been used in decades.
and by the way, great maps- had not checked them out before! a plethora of shortcuts and side routes i was totally unaware of, especially around solace and the upper chiniguchi!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1234

Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, grncnu. Makes it worthwhile to hear that.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home