Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Red Cedar to Jumping Cariboo lake loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

treeplanter

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 2:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have found it a lot of fun to read through, not to mention very informative. In High school & University I used to go canoing in Temagami at least once a year back when the Temagami Wilderness Center still did outfitting.(about 9 or 10 years ago?)

Anyway, my wife & I are planing a trip and from the looks of it the Red Cedar to Jumping Cariboo lake loop will suit the amount of time we have and our skill level (we will portage the Rapids) I was just wondering if anyone has been that way recently, and if there are any areas of concern.

The area I'm most worried about (especially after reading through other threads) is the section of the Temagami river from the bottom of Cross Lake to Red Cedar lake. Is there anything I should know about such as water levels or hard to find portages.

Any feedback would be appreciated and I'm not opposed to changing the route, so long as it includes Wasaksina Lake (one of my favourite sites is there & I've seen lots of moose). Our back up plan in case of bad weather or if we get lazy and want to spend two nights at one site would be to go down as far as Outlet Bay and into Cross Lake and then North again on Cross to the monster portage (1350m) into Wasaksina Lake and pick it up from there again.

Any thoughts?

Thank you!

(I'm away Saturday be back Sunday night)
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 1:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

can't comment on water levels in the temagami river (which is controlled by the cross lake dam).
this is a nice route, we did it 2 yrs ago and it wasn't busy in late august. recommend the campsite on the river- a beautiful spot.
i seem to recall the portage from red cedar to hangstone is a bit hard to find/follow, likewise the 900 from the creek past twinsister to jumping caribou which crosses the old highway 11. from there it goes up a private road and you have to watch for the trail which is a left turn down to the lake- hopefully it's marked now...
 Link to this message

treeplanter

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 9:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thank you Grncnu, I will keep this in mind.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home