Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Magnetewan trip report < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 8:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Folks,
I realize it is not Temagami per se, but it is in the spirit of the forum, so here goes.

The party which in the past has been as many as nine, usually eight, tipped out at five this year due to young people thinking work is more important than canoeing (the fools!!).
Myself, my wife-suffering with a very bad back, my ridiculously fit 20 year-old daughter, her even stronger boyfriend (both are Varsity rowers for Trent U, so you can imagine) and a 21 year-old friend of ours who is the official mascot. A bit hapless, but very lovable and does what ever he is told.
I went with three canoes, a mistake. We ended up with a princess seat in my new Yukon, which had plenty of room.
Day One: Drove to Naiscoot Marina, after missing the liquor store in Point au Baril by one minute. thus, a dry trip, which was fine, less to carry, money saved. Put in at the marina (lovely people there, by the way) around seven p.m. and paddled down Naiscoot Lake (or Six Mile Lake) to an unoccupied island campsite very close to Little Wilson Lake.
Lovely campsite, especially considering all the cottagers on the lake.
Day Two: three short portages through a series of lakes, Horseshoe, Evans and one unnamed and then over a BD into Lone Tree Lake. A charming lake with four nice campsites, two of them spectacular. Arrived at lunch time and made Kraft Dinner (ashamed to admit, insistance of my daughter). Plenty of time, so lots of swimming, fishing and so on. Built a table between two trees out of an available section of plywood and assembled a thunderbox I had schlepped along to leave at one of our campsites.
dinner of fajitas made with re-hydrated peppers, zuchinni, green beans, mushrooms,garlic, chick peas and fresh sauteed onion and leftover peameal from breakfast. Delicious. Lack of beer felt by all. Mood positive. Swam, chatted and waited for the meteor shower to start. disappointed on the meteor front.
Day Three: Up Lone Tree, across SeeSee Lake, two more very small lakes into TimberWolf Lake and on into Big Deep Bay and up to the South Mag River. Across the portage where all the fishing boats are stored and up to the "T" in the Mag and east to the far end of Trout Lake.
Water levels after the portage extremely low. A lot of spots required unloading of the boats and were in fact, portages. Campsite on Trout Lake was lovely. Looked like rain so rigged some tarps. A few showers at dawn but nothing serious. Long Day, not sure of the kms, but at least 20, plus six portages.

Day Four: had an east wind that came and went, but built a catamaran anyway and sailed/paddled down the North Mag. Managed to ease the craft over Mountain Chute Rapids and through Stove Pipe. Low water levels made the area almost unfamiliar. Through Island Lake and back onto the river, saw a lot of people at hunt camps and such. Everyone remarking on water levels. warm water, lots of leeches.
Arrived at Three Snye Rapids, now only one snye.
Made camp, wenting fishing caught a small mouth and filleted it to go with cod chowder dinner. I buy the packets of dried cod pieces and they make an amazing stew with re-hydrated veggies, some soup powder and lots of seasoning. you have to soak the cod and change the water often over the course of a few hours but it is a great treat. Heavy downpour late afternoon so we sat under a tarp and yapped about nothing. Young people have this ability to laugh at everything.
My wife's back was not getting better and she was in a lot of pain the whole time. no carrying obviously.
the meteors came late at night, not the show we had hoped for but pretty cool.

Day Five: up early and started out with the three men, two canoes and a pack for Harris Lake. A five km portage, mostly on good ATV trail but still a long slog. Took the boats about three km and came back for breakfast. my wife and daughter had everything packed up and pancakes waiting. Set out for the long hike in hot buggy conditions. Made the lake in one hour 15 minutes (not too shabby for a 48 year-old fat guy with a pack and canoe)swam, purified water and set out to return to Lone Tree Lake, about 14 kms away and three portages. made it back around 5:30 p.m. very sunburnt, tired and hungry.Made shepherd's pie from de-hydrated ground beef and veggies and mashed potato flakes. could not be better. I will put it up against a restaurant meal any day.

Day Six: up early, packed up and a strong east wind blowing. three portages back into Naiscoot Lake. built a second catamaran and awaited the joy of sailing. The wind gusted but was never consistent enough to really get going. still, we made it back in good time, laughing at ourselves and our craft. with the two boats lashed about 20 inches apart at the yoke, we found we could paddle as fast as in single boats. at least it felt that way. definitely a lot of fun. a lot of Patrick O'Brian references and talk of pirates, we had to tow our third canoe that had been stashed at the first campsite. it threatened to overtake our barge. arrived at the marina and had the required Pepsi and ice cream sandwich. Made Parry Sound Pizza Hut and ordered a jug of Keith's for every large pizza. Back home to the Beaver Valley by dinner time with a lot of smelly clothes, damp gear and laughter.

seeing my daughter portage a canoe, running in spots and smiling as she drops it in the water..I wonder if a Dad can feel any better about his kid. I have to accept the fact that not every step needs my input, advice and overseeing. She is gentle with me, but has made it clear she could probably survive the wilds without me ( a vicious lie, of course!!!)
Her boyfriend spent most of the trip showing me how much stronger he is. I grudgingly allowed him to do the larger share of the heavy lifting. I think he torn between appreciation for the trip and wondering how my daughter puts up with me.

The Magnetewan is frozen crown land. I am always amazed at how clean it is considering the proximity of cottages, the amount of hunt camps and the number of people. It never feels crowded even though you see a lot of people during the summer. And it is so much closer to southern Ontario.}
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 864

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2010 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"seeing my daughter portage a canoe, running in spots and smiling as she drops it in the water..I wonder if a Dad can feel any better about his kid. I have to accept the fact that not every step needs my input, advice and overseeing. She is gentle with me, but has made it clear she could probably survive the wilds without me ( a vicious lie, of course!!!) "

Seems familiar Fireman. I just spent 5+ weeks canoeing with my oldest daughter. Much the same
problem.Clearly she would go on her own, but the present canoe is too heavy for her to carry and I got rid of my 15' Kevlar Bob Special, which she has soloed with. So she now has to go with me..... reluctantly.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home