Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Scarecrow Lake and Ishpatina < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi everyone,
I am looking for a trip for September (long weekend) and am thining about trying to get into Scarecrow Lake and hike Ishpatima.
My plan would be to drive to the Sturgeon River,and then portage to Hamlow and then paddle into Scarecrow (through Little Scarecrow and Woods).
How busy is Scarecrow at this time of year?
How are the campsites on Scarecrow? I presume I would get there in a day (?).

Anyways, any help would be appreciated. I am looking to explore the area.

Thanks,
MJB1
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 3:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

A close friend just returned from Temagami and he told me he bumped into a group of four who had been flown into Smoothwater and headed south. They said it took them six hours to go four kilometres at the south end of Smoothwater.
take it for what you will. He returned August 11th. I am not sure it rained that much since. All reports are that water levels are very low. Good luck.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1236

Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 3:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just did your same trip from the Gervais Road to Scarecrow. Normally September is a quiet time there, but the long weekend could be a surprise. The water was low but it only mattered on the creeks and I had to walk some, but everything was very doable.
If you take the 1.6-km portage from Stull Creek to Hamlow, you will easily get there in a day.
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 5.htm

The most popular campsite is the one on the island.
 Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, August 17, 2010 - 4:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Fireman and Brian. The information is greatly appreciated.

Brian, just to confirm, it makes more sense to paddle up the Sturgeon into Stull Creek rather than portage the 3.6 km to Hamlow from the road? I looked at that, but wasn't sure if it was worth it.

Thanks.
 Link to this message

mjb1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, September 7, 2010 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks again guys.

I did this trip this weekend; left early Sat morning and back Sun at around 6pm. I ended up portaging the road on the way in (only took about an hour, but the put-in was terrible...muddy). We had a headwind and it was raining, but got through ok until the creek from Little Scarecrow to Woods (lots of wading). By the time we got to the first campsite on Woods we were soaking wet and facing a heavy headwind. We decided to call it a day (probably 1 or 2pm). Nice site, although no obvious tent spot (we ended up setting up in an overgrown area of moss...tent held up well though, so we ended up have a good night sleep). Got a fire going and had a nice evening (rain off and on). Up early and into Scarecrow on Sunday. Got the hike in and met some fellow travellers on our way up (they had spent the night up top...they said it was very cold and wet, and they didn't even get a good view). We didn't get much of a view either, so we just had lunch at the top and headed back down. Started heading home around noon.
Brian, we took the shortcut back to the Sturgeon River....pretty easy going, a few spots that required wading but it seems to cut some time off the trip. Arrived home at 6pm.

Very good trip even with the weather. We were wet and cold on Saturday, but were able to get dry and warm pretty quickly. The tent (only its second use) held up very well. Of course we had a decent headwind on the way back out as well, but it wasn't too bad. I would have liked to have had a few extra days to explore the area, but that will have to wait until the next trip.

Thanks for the information.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home