Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Chiniguchi Time again < Previous Next >

Link to this message

wsmac

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 9:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am thinking of taking a trip thru Chinigucci again. (Last time was Oct'08). Any new developments I need to know about? Do I need to worry about campsite competition in Sept? any comments advice as always gladly read...thanks
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 866

Posted on Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Take a look at these maps to see if anything has changed:
http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/chiniguch i.htm
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 73

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 5:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Anyone know whether the paddling population is still alive-and-well around Wolf the last week in August? I think I know the answer, but I'm hoping...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 868

Posted on Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You may start to see groups from the university outdoor programs out there by the end of August.Laurentian is active in the area and sometimes McMaster from Hamilton..
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 76

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 2:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, ed.
 Link to this message

wsmac

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 9:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, Am I required to purchase permits or anything like that?
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was talking to the Outdoor Ed. students yesterday,Laurentian has a trip leaving Matagamasi on September 6th and September 9th going up through Wolf Lake to McConnell Bay and back again. First year students lead by second year students. If you bump into them, ask for Rachel or Josh, both great kids from Meaford, Ontario.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 881

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 3:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chiniguchi Area is a non operating Provincial Park.... no permits needed.
As to campsites.... I would try to camp a bit early to secure a good site.
I was through there last September with another old guy and we got to Wolf Lake by about 12:30 PM and took the high site on the east shore. We didn't see any other groups come through, but the next day we paddled up to McConnell Bay and we passed a group of 6 guys all from Rogers Comm. on their annual trip. We all ended up on the beach sites.But all was good. They went south through Marjorie the next day and we went through Laura.
As we completed our trip arriving back on Mattagamasi on the Saturday following Labour Day weekend, with still very good weather, there were lots of canoe trippers about, mostly heading north,but there were enough sites around to handle the numbers.
 Link to this message

wsmac

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 9:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks ot both Ed & fireman for the info. My Sept is filling up with things unrelated to canoeing and looks like this trip might be put off until the beginning of Oct now. We have had very good luck with Oct trips so maybe that is a good thing. Again thanks for the tips and info

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home