Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through January 7, 2011 * Chiniguchi Route Reality Check < Previous Next >

Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 74

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi folks,

Off to Chiniguchi this Sunday, and I wouldn't mind a quick reality check on my route:

Put-in: Matagamasi
1. Monday: Wolf
2. Tuesday: Marjorie
3. Wednesday: Laura
4. Thursday: Wessel
5. Friday: Donald
6. Saturday: Potvin
7: Sunday: Continue down Donald/Kukagami to Take-out @ Sportsman's Lodge

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on August 20, 2010)
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 155

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That first day seems a bit long. How are you getting there (put-in) and when do you plan on starting? Wind may be an issue on Matagamasi.
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 75

Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HI there - plan to start at the public launch at Matagamasi at about 10 AM, Monday.
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 3:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I went through the area last week. Put in around noon at Mattagamasi on a Monday, arrived at Wolf around 6:00 after an hour spent at Paradise Lagoon to find 7 other groups had the same plan to camp on Wolf. We had to keep going and camped on Dewdney at the old Fire Ranger Cabin, not the nicest but there was a flat spot for a tent. At least at this point we were ahead of everyone and got our pick of campsite at the beach on McConnel Bay. I was suprised to see how much the beach sites (and others in the area) have deteriorated in the last 10 years. No thunderboxes, lots of garbage, human waste, dying trees, etc.

The route you've layed out of course will have much less traffic.

Perhaps it's time for more regulation and management of the area???
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 267

Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 4:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

It is an bad situation, one which needs the support of caring individuals and groups.
It is unfortunate that the Back Country Maintenance Program that FOT has partnered in is limited to the Temagami FMU so for now it will remain on the backs of the caring individual.

An alarming fact is that the forest industry and specifically in the Sudbury Forest, only has a commitment to preserve and safeguard campsites by way of Prescribed Area of Concern, is a clean and maintained campsite.

Think about it!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home