Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * STURGEON: How long from Paul Lake to River Valley? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

janine

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi! My husband and I would like to do the Sturgeon from Paul Lake to River Valley next week. Can anyone tell us how long this might take? I have been told about 6 days, but I would like to confirm this.

Also, there are not a lot of trip reports out there - any experiences or tips would be great. Hap's book is awesome, but we'd always love to hear more! (especially re: trips in May)

Cheers!

Janine
 Link to this message

onlypassnthru

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Janine,
It may not take that long in May; the Sturgeon will be up from the snowmelt, and ice-out. There is a fall below Silver Creek called Flood wood Chutes. You will need to portage around it, the portage is on the left bank going down stream. You cannot even line your boat down it; the entire flow of the river goes under a building sized boulder about halfway down the chute. The Chutes themselves are spectacular, good walleye/pickerel fishing below in the sunken timber. There is a private camp below the chute on the left so be kind and respect the property owners.

There is another big rapid at Glen Afton right after Cowboy Le Bells camp. In August it is a class three and can be run comfortably in an open canoe. In May (depending on the flow) it is class five, and cannot be run without a decked boat, kayak, C-1, C-2. I know because I tried it 2 Mays past in an Old town Royalex, swamped - bow first, did a pole end tip, and spilt the canoe to the portage yoke on a rock at the bottom of the rapid. The portage is on the right hand side going downstream.

Ive only done the Sturgeon from Silver Creek to the old footbridge at the Giroux home-place. Im going to try her again next week from the Murray/Chiniguchi River at Kelly Farm to the footbridge, but Im taking a 12 Old town Loon this time with spray skirt.

Regards,
Bill

Link to this message

janine

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your advice - it is much appreciated! We are relative whitewater beginners so we are hoping to take it nice and slow and improve our skills as we go!

Advice on good fishing holes is very welcome, as is more advice on the spots to watch out for, approx. time to travel etc.

If anyone has run Paul Lake to River Valley I would love to hear from you!

Janine
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Here's a trip report
http://www.myccr.com/canoedb/routeDetails.php?rout eid=181
Cheers
 Link to this message

janine

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Canoedog! I had found the MYCCR site, but not that report. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for better weather! ;)

Janine

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home