Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Looking for a 5 day route, moderate skill level < Previous Next >

Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 9:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am looking for a 5 day route in the Temagami area. I plan to have 3 canoes, 6 adults in total. Can anyone recommend a route. Open to all ideas.
Thanks

Ged Seguin
Palgrave, Ontario}}}
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 408

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

When are you going and what's the skill level? Are you interested in a challenge or the opposite?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 129

Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

canoes23,
If your group has at least an intermediate level of experience trip the Wakimika Triangle route found on the forum. Drive Hwy 11 north of the town of Temagami, turn right on the Red Squirrel Rd. and drive to Sandy Inlet, Ferguson Bay, canoe Ferguson Bay to the portage into the North Arm, canoe to Sharp Rock Inlet and portage into Diamond Lake, canoe to the west and then south to the south west bay of Diamond Lakeand take to 2 portages to the south into Wakimika Lake. Paddle into Obabika Lake. In the north east corner of the lake is the start of the Old Growth Forest Trails, walk the trails, and you can visit Alex Mathias at the mouth of the Obabika River on the west shore. Paddle south on the lake to the portage into the Obabika Inlet, Lake Temagami. Then paddle back to Sandy Inlet, wher you started. You can easily do this trip in 5 days as long as there is not any strong winds where you maybe wind bound for one or more days.
Bill
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 6:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

canoes23... hillbilly's suggested route is a doable 5-dayer though I prefer to not have to be on the water for 8 hours a day. 2 canoes and 4 of us adults (all in late 40's) did this loop several years ago in 7 1/2 days with a day of wind and a day of no moving just to enjoy the beauty of the surroundings, explore and do a little fishing. The differences between the lakes is awesome. You would do well to do 'the loop' but take time to smell the pine and listen to the wind as it whispers to you in the treetops!
 Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are planning to go up to the Temagami area on August 18 thru the 22.
Ideally what I was looking to do is get an access point then canoe in for roughly 3 hours into a lake on preferably smaller water and set up a base camp. From there we would do day trips to explore the area. We have 6 adults and one youngster in our group and I would say we are average canoeists (25 trips over the years), not very experienced with white water. I want to avoid cottages for sure.}
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 7:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Canoes23, If you are looking to get away from cottages and motor boats, and are looking to set up a base camp and take day trips from there, but do not want to get to far afield, may I suggest portaging into Olier Lake. There is a nice campsite there, and you can take day trips into Denedus and even Wassaks. The fishing in Olier lake is pretty good for being one portage away from Temagami and it is quiet. It is a beautiful small lake, as is Denedus. You may see a few canoe groups paddle through. Wassaks is a larger lake and equally pleasing to the eye. Plus on your way to Olier, you won't be far from High Rock Island, where you could take a little trip up the trail and have a scenic lunch overlooking lake Temagami. Just a suggestion. Whenever I have guests at the cottage and they want to get out, this is where I take them. This area has a remote feel, but isn't too far from access points.
 Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, June 1, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks pine_sap for the tip.
How do I access Olier Lake?

Ged Seguin
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 9:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Canoes23, If you have a Temagami area map you will be paddling down Shiningwood Bay and partage into Olier lake at very tip of the Bay. The portage is about 4 or 500 yards into the lake. There are some trails that lead off to the left of the portage, when in doubt, stay right. The portage follows along a stream. Keep the stream to your right.

I have not done this, but I believe there is access directly into Shiningwood Bay from the Mine Road, which means your paddle to the Olier lake Portage would be greatly reduced. Maybe someone could elaborate more on the Shiningwood Bay access since I have not used it before. I think your paddle will be about 2 or three miles to the portage from there.

After you portage into Olier, The campsite will be on your right on a rock outcropping about 1/4 mile or so down the lake. Accross from the site, you will see a small bay where another stream empties into the lake. This is where you will find the portage into Denedus lake. If I recall correctly, the portage is about 500 yds or so. From there you can portage into Wassaksina (Wassaks)Lake, a larger and equally beautiful lake. I believe Wassaksina in Ojibway means "shiny beaver stick" or something of that nature.

Just make sure you have a map, and have fun!
 Link to this message

pine_sap

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

By the way, The Mine Road, or Lake Temagami Access Road, Runs right between The Northeast Arm and Shiningwood Bay. Shiningwood Bay will be to the south of the road.

Also, since you are going in late August, you may not see as many people canoeing through, I beleive all of the youth camps are finished by then.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 411

Posted on Saturday, June 4, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Shiningwood Bay side road is a rough, one-track trail, not a public road. Its condition varies and there is no guarantee of parking, which is limited, at the end. Drive at your own risk, in other words.

The entrance, next to a shack, is hard to spot. It is nearly opposite, as I recall, the entrance (a real road) to the 150-foot telephone tower that is most of the way down the Mine Road.
 Link to this message

canoes23

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Brian/Pine_sap.
I was speaking to an outfitter about the Central Lake Temagami access road. He noted that there is access to Iceland Lake from the road at a small bridge. From there I can get into Wassaksina via Driftwood. Have either of you done that trip?Familiar with Iceland Lake?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 417

Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Easily accessible. Wasaks is the nicer lake. But with accessibility comes lots of visitors. It becomes more hit and miss to get some solitude there.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home