Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Favorite recipies? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

larrybrook

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 8, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dehydrated is prefered...I'll start:
Spagetti with meat sauce. Cook a pound of ground beef till it's really browned, use LOTS of spice, because once it's done you need to rince it under boiling water for a few minutes until you see the fat is gone...dehydrate it, as well as (separately) a large can of your favourite spagetti sauce and a can of tomato paste. once completed the ground beef should look like gravel and the spagetti sauce like red corn flakes (or at least red leather). Keep both separated in a double zip lock bag to keep moisture out. When it's time to cook, simmer the meat first in a large pot for about 15 minutes then add about the same amount of water as the can the sause came in. NOTE: Keep some boiled water near by encase it gets too thick, because once the tomato flakes come back it can thicken up on you in NO TIME! (usually about 20 minutes on a low boil) Season to taste and add freshly choped onion (they travel well) and serve over your favourite pasta! Might I recomend a nice cabernet sauvinion decanted gently into a plastic bottle! Bon Apetite!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 196

Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Maybe I could add a few thoughts to your process and recipe.
If you use extra lean ground beef, you have a better chance of getting rid of most of the fat, which is what could turn the dried meat rancid.I use the extra lean stuff and cook it well followed by a rinse in a seive with a kettle of boiling water. I then place it back in the pan and boil it for a few minutes with more water before rinsing agin and dehdrating.The yield is about 21%.

I just use commercial pasta sauce and dry it.I haven't tried to add extra tomatoe paste but you can buy dry tomatoe powder, which could be added.
Also, you can dry or purchase dried mushrooms and dried onions and add them separately to your dry mix. They help enhance the flavour.I also carry some dried red peppers with me in my kitchen kit for added flavour, depending who is eating with me.A small vacuum sealed pack of Parmesan cheese travels well without refrigeration and adds to the flavour.

Link to this message

larrybrook

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sounds delicious! Yes, I use extra lean as well (good call!) another good spin on dehydrated ground beef is...
Shephards Pie: Re-hydrate the ground beef with whatever tickles your fancy...dehydrated corn, peas, carrots, etc. meanwhile make a package of instant mashed potatoes and a couple of packages of clubhouse gravy mixes (just add water!)combine ingredients on a plate useing the "thwop" method of spooning drizlle with gravy and voila...it may not look exactly like shepards pie but it sure goes down the same way! try adding some tostitos cheese sauce to your meat/vegie combo, the results may frighten, yet thrill you all at once! Might I recomend an Australian Shiraz decanted yet again into a plastic bottle!?!?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 197

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 8:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Shepherds pie thing sounds interesting. I will try that. I think I have all the ingredients on hand.

When you get tired of ground beef, try chicken. Again I start with Lean ground or extra lean if I can get it when needed. The chicken needs to rehydrate a bit longer than the ground beef and it usually comes out a little bit more chewy. I use it to make a sweet and sour chicken one pot along with a mixture of precooked and dried white and wild rice, dried carrots, dried red and green peppers, dried beansprouts, onions, mushrooms dried pineapple and a package of sweet and sour sauce, added a few minutes before serving.
It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and tastes pretty good along with soy sauce and plum sauce etc..

Dried shrimp can also work in the chicken dishes and provides a change from eating foil pack tuna in those dishes.

Link to this message

larrybrook

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, YOU'RE MAKING ME HUNGRY!!!! I assume you use ground chicken, sicne you mentioned extra lean. Have you tried cooking a breast then dicing it and then dehydrating?? several years back one of the campers made chicken stir fry...cooked chicken breast pulled into strips and dehydrated, with all the usual fixings. The chicken turned out "woody?" Maybe it just needed more time simmering in water??? It was still a tasty meal (as usual whilst camping)but still room for improvement.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 198

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 8:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I tried the chicken breast thing also, but it didn't work. I think chicken breasts have a lot of connective tissue and this does not dehydrate/rehydrate very well. When put through a grinder it gets gets broken up and will rehydrate much better.

The first and only time I tried using dried, diced chicken breasts, I boiled the dried peices for over an hour and they were still woody.

Some of us make pizza out there also. I prepackage a dough mix and wait for a warm day, add water, and yeast and let it rise in a closed pot.

I use dried pasta sauce, and rehydrate it, spreading it onto the dough in a pan and let it bake about 20 minutes, then add grated mozarella cheese, that I had vacuum packed at home, plus dried veggies, such as mushrooms, green and red peppers and onions. I put on some olives, carried separately in a Nalgene bottle and pepperoni, (Bridgeford - precut and packaged). Then bake this up for a while on my stove,using either the Outback oven cover or just a pan inverted over my pizza for a lid.Sometimes it turns out really good.
 Link to this message

navelfuzz

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have had good luck doing my hamburger in a more lazy method. I mix raw burg with lots of soy, and little of the Whirsh or Franks hot (depending on the planned use. I spread thin on cookie sheets and dry/cook at the lowest setting of my gas stove with the door slightly open. I ocassionaly drain and stir for the first few hours, then leave to dry until I have dog kibble. I vacumme pack and freeze until the trip. I have gone 10 days in August and never had any issues.

Hearty Italian vegetabe soup is also a favourite, especially with some fresh pan bread.

I've also tried Shepards pie similar to the one above. My wife seems to do it and make it look somewhat like pie. I just like that you can put anything in it and it tastes great.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home