Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Barr lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

manson

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

is there a trail ,portage or road accessing barr lake(southwest of kaa)thanks
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 92

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Go up the Creek a bit (toward Barr) and you'll find a portage trail. We had to push and pull and tug away at a couple of beaver dams to get up in there. I'd have to look at my notes, but I think there were two trails. A short one past a blow down (near and old road) on stream-left, and, a longer one (700-800 yards, uphill at end) into Barr.

Garrett
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 200

Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 7:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

While Garrett looks for his notes, I did this route Spring 2004.
You may be able to access the portage directly from the end of Kaa Lake, to avoid what Garrett is talking about. The trail runs along an old logging road with the entrance a distance to the right of the creek and then comes back to the creek. The next 2 portages are on the LHS of the creek as you travel towards Barr.My notes indicate that the trip in was not too bad, which means it must have been good for that part of the country.I think there is one campsite on Barr on the west shore about 1/2 way down the lake.

I just recall that Haps new book describes this route complete with map and detail on page 113.

Are you going over to Smoothwater?
 Link to this message

manson

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 9:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

sorry but im confused should i stay on the right side of kaa then when i come tothe end of lake (kaa)there will be a portage trailgoing up the creek into barr.only have haps old book,i fish lakes off the road to get better fishing and solitude
 Link to this message

manson

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

one more ? on the south end of barr wheres the portage trail? is it easy to find?does the lake show signs of heavy use?
 Link to this message

garrett

Post Number: 93

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What I can remember is this: you can paddle and pull your way up to the take-out for the first portage (going up-stream, it's on your right side), which meets with an old logging road (which Ed refers to). Then you put back in for a short paddle to the second portage on the left side (if you're facing up-stream). The second portages is around 700 yards, I think, up-hill at end. I hope this helps.

I'm sorry, I'm heading out the door for the summer paddling in Temagami/Wabakimi region...I am not going to be able to answer your questions in any more detail since my notes are not with me. Good luck!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 203

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK I think I see your confusion.Kaa Lake has an East and a West branch in the South end. The East branch becomes a part of the Lady Evelyn River system.The West branch contains the creek that goes to Barr Lake.
To go to Barr go to the South West end of the Lake. Locate the creek entrance and then paddle South west along the shore(to your right) until you come to the portage, mostly 275m along an old logging road.You then enter the creek on the westshore and paddle South until you come to a second portage, 245m on your left.Paddle the creek a bit more until you come to the third portage, 270m on your left.This takes you into Barr Lake. Barr is not heavily used. Mostly the canoe camps pass through there.
Go to:http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/nastawgan/ nastaw-2A.htm
for the Nastawgan Map, locate Kaa Lake at the lower bottom LHS and you will see the portages marked on it. Go to the map directly below and you will see the portages marked to go further South into Wabun.

When you leave Barr, where are you going? To Smoothwater?
 Link to this message

manson

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ed just a fishing exploration trip once there will try to acess small lake to south and southwest for private fishing.looking for small lakes with restricted acess to small for planes and portaging required
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 204

Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Some Lakes South of Wabun are closed to fishing.
You need to check your fishing guide to determine which ones.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home