Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Blazing A Trail < Previous Next >

Link to this message

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What is the proper way to blaze a trail?

I'm looking for all the details on this. Such as; how to pick which trees to blaze, how far apart should they be, what is the best tool to use, does one blaze as they go or only after establishing the correct route, can it be done without harming the tree... etc.

I realize much of this is governed by an individual's skill and comfort zone. But are there some tried and tested methods out there that you have used?
 Link to this message

Post Number: 427

Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Axe into the light-coloured heartwood. You want to blaze both sides of the tree, if you can, for travel both ways. You want to be able to see the next blaze with ease while carrying a load. Some portages have been blazed on every tree (overkill, no doubt) and others a respectable distance.

Winter blazes are the ones that seem a little high.

Blazes will stay so you really want to only blaze when the trail is set so you don't get confused before the treadway is formed.

Of course, there are people who are dead set against blazing for aesthetics and because you risk breaking a tree's natural defenses when you cut through to the heartwood. The latter only matters in sensitive areas, after all, if they are going to clearcut the forest you are blazing, does anyone hear the tree fall?
 Link to this message

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Brian. Good info that I may use in the near future.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home