Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Kinachee L to Red Squirell Lake, < Previous Next >

Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, June 19, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'm looking for some information/input/advice for part of my route for a solo canoe trip in August this year.

My planned route as of now is to start in Temegami, paddle through Snake Is. L, Cassels, Net, and Kinachee; upstream to Jackpine, into Lenore, Red Squirrel, and from the R.S. River into L. Temegami (staying at Sandy Inlet for 2 days by Camp Wanapitei), then paddling 3 days on L Tem. back to the town.

I was wondering if anyone has ever paddled from Snake Island Lake to Kanichee; and upstream from heere to Jackpine my Temegami Canoe Routes map mentions "Numerous Portages". Are there many cottages on those first 4 lakes (and near Tem North)? On that creek between Jackpine and Kinachee, is it really shallow or rocky, hence the "numerous portages"? How many mandatory portages? How long will it take for a solo paddler, roughly?
I'll be giving myself 3 full paddling days for that overland Snake Is. L to Sandy Inlet portion, which seems at most 45 km; will that be enough? As for campsires, any sugestions? I figure that it will be enough for a stay on Kinachee for night #1, and Lenore/Red Squirell for night #2.

Also, a secondary question (that I have brought up before): paddling from Sandy Inlet to Temegami-- will 3 days be enough? If Lake Temegami has really high winds from an unfavorable direction, I may consider jutting into Kokoko Inlet, going through Kokoko Lake, and out Kokoko Bay towards the Northeast arm: would this be deisreable for avoiding southernly or westernly winds that may make L. Teme hard to paddle on?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 428

Posted on Monday, June 20, 2005 - 9:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did the Kanichee to Jack Pine about 30 years ago, so this is dated. But it was too much walking and the area had recently been logged damaging many of the old portages. I don't recall much that was redeeming about that section.

Your Kokoko idea is a good one. Another idea to avoid winds, would be to go through Spawning to Hay lakes.

Assuming anything so bad hits you. Despite all the talk you hear, it is a rare day that you would be windbound.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home