Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Boating to Maple Mountain < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bits

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, You have said that the water level is rising. Do you or anybody else think a 16'cedar strip could make it to the Maple Mountain Trail at the beginning of August?

Also for any of you fisherman out there, how has the pickerel fishing been? This will be my 30th trip to the Lady and it seems the last 2-3 years the fishing has been on a bit of a decline. Could anybody inform me of the new slot limit.

Any info and I mean "any" will be much appreciated.

I never do 'post" but I read Ottertooth all the time.Living down here in rural New York I do not have any other source of getting info of the one place I am truely in love with. I can't wait till I retire, maybe I will ask Ed for canoeing instruction.

By the way has anybody ever stayed at the Mitchell's Fishing Camp?

Happy Fishing!

Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just came back from Lady Evelyn Lake and Lady Evelyn River. The lake level seemed to be a good summer level. The river is lower than some years as it has been a dry spring but it is not a problem for a canoe trip at all. No problem getting to Maple Mt trail in your canoe.
You will have to pull over or possibly portage over a beaver dam into Tupper Lake and the stream connecting Hobart to Lady Ev Lake will be shallow but not too shallow for a canoe in my opinion.. That's assuming you are paddling in from Lady Evelyn Lake. If you try to paddle to Maple Mt from Chris Willis Lake....that section might be too shallow by August...
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 212

Posted on Friday, July 1, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bits:
The answer that doug_2 provided is pretty much what I would have said. If the water level is real low between Sucker Gut(LEL) and Hobart, then you could get out line your canoe up the creek. It is not likely that you would have to portage up there.

You might try going to: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html#fis h

to see what the latest fishing regulations are for Ontario.You can pick up a guide when you renew your non-resident fishing license.

I have never stayed at Mitchell's, but others who visit this site have and may respond in time. This is our long weekend and so many are away.
Regards,
Ed.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home