Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Nasmith creek near obabika river < Previous Next >

Link to this message

pyork

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 8, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just canoed Nasmith Creek to the Obabika River, from a chain of small lakes marked on Route # 11 in Hap Wilson's book. The Obabika is good, but I would advise against going on the Nasmith this time of year -- I encountered dozens of liftovers and dams, making the route difficult and slow and wet -- as well, the trails were poorly marked and in some case not marked at all, requiring a lot of wasted time looking for portages and either lining or bushwacking. Naturally, no one was up there - I enjoyed the solitude, but being wet all the time is no fun if the weather is chilly! I do reccommend the Obabika -- it was pleasant and relatively obstruction-free.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 429

Posted on Saturday, July 9, 2005 - 6:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for that valuable report.

I am not quite sure where you got on the creek. Was it Dorothy Lake or Lahay Lake?
 Link to this message

pyork

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It was a chain of small lakes north of Lahay that led into Lahay from the Nasmith. I do not recall the name of these lake - I got on them via the Obabika, then turned north - this is all visible on Route #11 of Wilson's book, but I've misplaced the book so cannot reference it more than that. At this time of year, given the low water, it is clear to me that only the Obabika (in that area) is fit for canoeing - the Nasmith is passable, but only with great difficulty. It would be a great public service for someone with a chainsaw to cut a path thro' those many deadfalls on the Nasmith, both north and south of Lahay. Maybe the MNR, now that it charges for these areas, will do that?
 Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 9:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think the Nasmith falls between the cracks; neither a Conservation Reserve or a Park - not that the MNR would likely clear it anyway.

I've never been in that area though I've long had a mind to try it. I would consider going up the creek to do some clearing - perhaps from a basecamp, if I had some support; ie - small chainsaw, fuel/oil, tools, spare chain etc...
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 62

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 9:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

....... and free beer?
 Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

... I'll buy the beer if you can get it (and us) in there.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 137

Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I just got back Sunday from going down the Obabika R. into the Wawiagama R. up Obabika Lake. I was asking Alex M. about the Naismith from Lahay and Bill M. was there. He told me he had been in there last year and flaged it. I was then told that another person many of us know went that way and took down the flags. That may be some of the reason the trails are hard to find. The Obabika Lake is more than 15 inches down from last year at this time. Alex says it could be as much as 12 inches below normal. The Obabika r. has 4 pull overs before the campsite and 7 pullovers from the campsite to the Wawiagama R. Wawiagama R. has about 12 pullovers to the lake. both rivers are easily paddled even with the low water.
 Link to this message

jay_morrison

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

on july 20th i was on nasmith creek from the 1600m portage at the east end of the pineorch cons resererve down to dorothy. in spite of low water in wakimika and obabika lakes, nasmith (and waters elsewhere) are reasonably high and it was an easy paddle with just a bit of wading and liftovers (one hour). i have previousy done the lower section all the way up from the confluence of the obabika river and would expect it to be a little bit of work but quite passable with current levels. jay

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home