Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Access Point at Sandy Inlet - Camp Wanapitei < Previous Next >

Link to this message

stephantheman

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

In Hap's latest edition of his Temagami Canoe Routes book, Access Points are described on page 36. The book says that to find Access Point 'G', the one for Sandy Inlet, I should "watch for signs to Camp Wanapitei and to turn south (left) off Red Squirrel Road onto a packed dirt trail through jack pine stands to a limited parking lot. There is a 300 m trail to Sandy Inlet." I wanted to put in there on the weekend to visit my sister on Lake Temagami and I wasn't able to find the launch site. I found the small parking lot (it's marked as being Wanapitei family and visitors parking) and there are two trails. One is to my left that leads to a small sand pit and is right beside the road, and the other has a sign that says "Trail to Camp Wanapitei - 1 KM" (or something very similar...it says 1KM for sure....) We jogged down the 1KM trail for what I'm sure was more than 300m and didn't find anything. I didn't want to go the rest of the way and end up at the camp and bother anyone. Going the opposite way of the parking lot looks like a road that leads right to the camp. There were other vehicles parked in the small lot with empty roof racks and untied rope dangling down the sides so I'm sure I was pretty close to the launch site. Anyone know exactly where it is???
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 140

Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

From the Red Squirrel Rd. you turn left to Camp Wanapitei. Then turn right on a sandy packed road through the Jack Pines, the road dead ends at the parking area. The trail, portage, is at the south end of the parking area. Walk 300 mt. to the beach putin at Sandy Inlet, Ferguson Bay.
Bill
 Link to this message

stephantheman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The south end would be that trail that has a little sign that says "1KM" (the one the guests and visitors use to get to the camp)? We walked down that one for quite a ways and didn't see anything that looked like a launch site but maybe I didn't go far enough?
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 9:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think you may not have taken that right turn that Bill talks about. I just returned from there. Just turn left off the Red Squirell Road...and at the first junction....turn right and keep going til the road dead ends at a small parking lot. You will see a steel fence there with some kind of MNR sign above it..... Then walk down the path and stay right all the way to the beach....yes 300 meters about. There is also a branch left on this trail that goes to the camp...
By the way....if you car does not have real high clearence you may have touble getting to the parking area. There are very deep ruts along this route.... This is not a maintained access point....I've seen people turn around becasue of the deep ruts...
 Link to this message

stephantheman

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ah yes! After I turned left off Red Squirrel, I didn't take another right. I ended up taking a left to the camp's parking lot. I'll have to take a look at that the next time I head over.
Thanks Bill and Doug!
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 53

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yeah, the right turn heads to a parking lot which goes directly to Sandy Inlet; but that 1km long trail from the left/north parking lot, while leading to the Camp, would still put you in a position to get on the beach. I'm not sure of actual policy, I guess; but I am a former Wanapiteier, and I can tell you that it would have been fine if you came down that long trail(the "Jack Pine trail" as opposed to the "Beach trail,"), and would have just been redirected down the beach.
Many people walk through the youth camp to get to the Chateau anyways, so it's not like you would be intruding into a camp-only realm.

(Message edited by four_eyez on July 20, 2005)
 Link to this message

nondy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 7:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was there last week looking for the same spot. I turned left off of Red Squirrel Road at the Camp Wanapetei sign, then an immediate left which took me to the camp parking lot. We walked down to the camp and also crossed over the bridge to the Lodge. Talked to people at both locations about possibly stashing a food barrel.

After coming out of there, I knew it was the other direction to the Sandy Beach parking lot. Instead of turning left after leaving Red Squirrel Road, turn right. However I must disagree with the previous statement that the road dead ends at a small parking lot. The road continues on for as far as I could see. There is a "parking area" right where the sandy road turns left again and heads down to the proper parking lot. That's about 300 meters down the road. I didn't go down there though because I didn't want to take my small car down it. The road was had very deep gullys in it.

Worst thing is that there was no sign saying this was the trail to the parking lot area.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 143

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

nondy
That is why many of us prefer Temagami over other areas, nothing is marked. If you can not read a map and go by others directions you do not belong in Temagami. Temagami is not Algonquin or Kilarney or many other canoe areas. Ask for directions and go by them from the experienced people. If you can not do that then do not go there.
Bill
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 218

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 3:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Nondy:
If you go to: http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/map_tem_at las_sandy.htm
you will find a map of Ferguson Bay and Sandy Inlet which gives a better description of the trail to the Inlet.

I hope this helps.

I don't agree with Hillbilly's comment. I believe that more signs would help new visitors to Temagami find their way to these access points, the portages and the campsites. I suspect that if there were signs for this particular area, they have either fallen down due to lack of maintenance or were taken down by people who share Hillbilly's point of view.
At one point, all of us were new visitors to Temagami. We should not forget that at one time each of us was a neophyte canoeist and that those who went ahead of us shared their experiences and knowledge with us so that we could become proficient at finding our way through the bush.
Signs help us to do that and I for one one support the Ministry of Natural Resources in their efforts to resign Temagami.
Ed.
 Link to this message

nondy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, August 4, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I had no problem finding my way around. I only mentioned that the trail wasn't marked because while at Camp Wanapitei talking to the staff, they made it sound like the trail would be marked with a sign just like the trail to the camp itself is marked.

As for Hillbilly, I don't think his remarks were directed personally to me but rather just a gereral overall feeling as to what he thinks is correct. And in some ways I think the same way. I don't want to see a bunch of big ugly signs pointing to every attraction, portage, campsite etc in the area. But just having come back from our trip, I must say I wish I had shares in one of companys that makes the orange flagging tape !

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home