Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Sturgeon to montreal-- but mostly the bits between < Previous Next >

Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 1:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Iím planning a trip in temagami for late august and am here for pointers. Weíre out for 13 days, looking for a medium challenge for intermediate trippers. So far Iím checking out access north of Paul lake (Sturgeon river), through Solace lake to Florence, the south branch of Lady Evelyn river, hike Maple mountain, up to Montreal river via Anvil and Mendelssohn lakes to Mowatís Landing for pick up. Iíve pieced together a number of Hap Wilsonís routes in what I hope is an effective way.

My questions: how accessible is the access point on the Sturgeon? am I heading through low water, especially given this heat? Does this route have too many portages, ie should I look at some of the larger lakes? Is this challenging for 13 days, 12 nights? It covers less distance than Iím used too, but there are some difficult sections and things to explore.

Iíve read a lot of postings over the last week and itís amazing how much knowledge is packed in! youíve all been a big help already. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

amy
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 4:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Are you planning to drive to the Sturgeon River upstream of Paul Lake? (south of Hamlow) Or are you planning to fly into Paul Lake?
 Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yes, we're driving up the portelance road to the top of the sturgeon river. I figured out it's more accurate to say we'll start at ghoul lake.
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are two reasons I asked.

One, Hap's book says the road is impassable. However, I'm quite sure he is referring to a regular car. You can get through there if your vehicle has reasonable ground clearance. For example, I got my Honda CR-V in there a couple of years ago, and the year before that, but there is a 1-3km stretch that is R-O-U-G-H. You start to think you're not on the right road, or road for that matter. Also, if you have some way of protecting the side panels of your vehicle from the bushes growing on the side, it would be prudent. I remember having to buff marks out of the clearcoat on the CR-V.

Second, Do you know the way? The first time I went there (after getting lost and asking 3 different parties for directions) I took exact notes as to how far to go before turning or taking the left or right fork, etc so that I would not get lost the next time. I found that the whole trip from the start of the Portelance road until the put in at the Sturgeon was 70kms, give or take 1. The trip takes about 3 hrs from Capreol because you have to go so slow in parts. The second time I went there I got lost again. My notes were good but there were new logging roads put in and that messed things up for a bit. The new road had fist size gravel on it and we got a flat tire. We also gave a lift to a woman walking by herself on that road at 10:30pm and took her back to Capreol. All I can say is getting there is half the adventure.

Having said all this though, this is one of my favorite areas in Temagami, perhaps because the road keeps many out. If you would like more info you can contact me at jveira@linvatec.com and I can give more specific directions. As for the rest of your trip route, I will let others comment on that.

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 432

Posted on Saturday, July 16, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well said John.
 Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 18, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

well, I find myself considering other access points given your comments on the portelance road. that's a lot of time on a bad road! What about Beauty lake road to the Montreal river? then the route would take us through Smoothwater and south lady evelyn river. I understand there would be a lot of liftovers and wading, but perhaps I don't realise what I would be getting into. I've read the info on another thread about route 19, which is making me think yet again. The bad road, lots of walking, or a new route? Does anyone have any more comments on the south Lady Evelyn river?
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 27

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Go for it Amy, after all, what is a little hardship compared to actually being out there and canoeing and enjoying the area!!!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 435

Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Beauty Lake Road to the Montreal River is well used and should not be a problem.

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 217

Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Amy;
See if you can get Jay Morrison to respond. He was on the South Lady Evelyn River last week and could update you on the conditions he encountered.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home