Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Lady Evelyn canoe-camping suggestions < Previous Next >

Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 8:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi,

My friend and I are planning to canoe-camp in the Lady Evelyn lake area for the first time. This is our first time in the Temagami region. We're planning on starting at Mowat Landing and going through Lady Evelyn Lake, into the park and either finding a campsite there, or keep going or portage to a smaller lake to setup a base camp.

We're planning on hitting the lake Saturday, July 30, and stay till Wednesday, Aug 3. Can anyone give us pointers? Like, is it realistic to be able to find any campsites that weekend anywhere on Lady Evelyn that weekend? How long would it take for us to canoe past that lake? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 141

Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are many campsites on Lady Evelyn Lake. You would have little problem to find a site. Lady evelyn Lake howerver has many motor boats on it, the thing is to make it south and into Sucker Gut Lake. There will be motor boats in it but you can day trip to Maple Mountain from there easily. If you are going to fish then you can fish in L.E. or Sucker Gut or Willow Island Lake. If you stay in L.E. canoe to the south eastern arm and stay there. If you have the Temagami Canoe Routes Map you will see the campsites marked. Sucker Gut Lake is a moderate days paddle from Mowat Landing, Maple Mountain would be only a couple of hours paddle from there. The south east arm is also a moderate days paddle to the south end and you could go into Diamond Lake from there with only a short lift over. Other Lakes in the area not as busy as L.E. Get a Temagami Canoe Routes Map and pick your area.
Bill
 Link to this message

amigo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 7:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, hillbilly - I thought it would probably be difficult to find a campsite on what may be the busiest weekend of the year. Are motor boats allowed on the section of L. E. that falls in the park?
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 7:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Motor boats are allowed on Sucker Gut and Willow Island. If you want to avoid them you are best to get one portage away. Also I think the channel up to Hobart Lake from Sucker Gut is too shallow for motor boats.

(Message edited by blitz_boy on July 21, 2005)
 Link to this message

moyra

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sucker Gut...nasty kind of name for a lake, any idea how it go that name?
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 142

Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have no idea how Sucker Gut Lake go its name but if you get a the wind from the south and you are going south and visa versa from the north, you will bust a gut trying to go against the wind. All of L.E., willow island and Sucker gut is boat accessible and I agree if you get one portage away from the three lakes you loose all moter traffic. Go to Hobart Lake and then climb Maple Mountain for a day trip. You will love the scenery, It is some of the most beautiful in Temagami.
Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on July 21, 2005)

(Message edited by hillbilly on July 21, 2005)

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home