Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * South Lady Evelyn River: attn Jay Morrison < Previous Next >

Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi, I'm looking for any info on the South Lady Evelyn River, especially between Apex lake and the Florence river. From my earlier questions, Ed (moderator-- and thanks) suggested I look for Jay Morrison due to some recent visiting. I imagine the water's pretty low, and I'd love to hear what it's like before I fully decide my route. thanks to anyone who might have a comment!
 Link to this message

jay_morrison

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yes Amy, on july 16th we did the south lady e from the good campsite on the west shore of smoothwater to the very nice campsite on the point on the southern half of florence in about 10 hours, single carrying the portages into apex and whitemud and at the bottom of the lady e. we maintained a steady pace but were not rushing or straining at all. we do travel pretty light, canoe 38lbs and total gear and food at that point about 60 lbs. the first four kilometers on the creek down from whitemud to jerry creek took three hours, lots of wading and log liftovers but not really strenuous or tricky. don't be discouraged by low water the first k from whitemuad, it gets better and there was more water than i expected. of course your experince may depend on rainfall but the watershed for the creek is pretty large with a number of bogs that should hold water quite well and there were about 15 intact beaver dams on the river. it was a lot easier after jerry creek with relatively less wading. in addition to the three marked portages at the bottom you will have to do a short (50m) bash on river left before the first marked portage. overall not really difficult for experinced and moderately fit tripppers. certainly the whole day is much easier than portaging through sunnywater to the north branch and paddling up the meanders of the south lady e to duff lake and on to florence. i can also report that florence seems to be recovering from acidification. the south half is still extremely clear but i saw a large school of fish fry and crayfish, first time in five previous visits since '97/ if you are considering going out through ames creek or pinetorch, the water was higher in the key areas than usual there too, lots of fresh beaver dams. oh and very few bugs, mostly just deer flies.

let me know if you have any questions and have a great trip. Jay
 Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

hi Jay,
thank you so much, it sounds like an excellent trip! I'm so glad to hear the water levels sound fine. 10 hours seems really fast. in fact, i was planning on camping before reaching Florence. did you pass a campsite about two thirds of the way to Florence? Hap Wilson's book mentions that it is excellent. the next day would be short, and either way we'll have time to explore florence lake and hike one of the viewpoints also mentioned by hap wilson (florence or duff). have you ever hiked in those areas, and have any recommendations? we'll be continuing on the lady evelyn and over to maple mountain, up to the montreal river and travel south to mowat landing for our pick up. thanks again for all your help!
amy
 Link to this message

john_v

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 8:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Amy,

Having not heard from you, I assume you are not considering driving up to the Sturgeon. The Beauty Lake road to start at the Montreal River (as Jay mentions) is likely a better choice for you anyways since you want to head down into Florence, and you mention that you are ending at Mowat Landing for a pick up. The road to the Montreal is all good and it will make it much easier than the road to the Sturgeon for your pick up.

I have hiked up both Florence and Duff's ridges. Both are are nice but Florence (near the bottom end of the lake) was the more worthwhile one for me. We could not find the trail going up there, or maybe we did but it was too sparse to say for sure. The bush was not too dense so the going was easy. Make sure you take your camera. Happy tripping!

John.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 222

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I haven't done the Florence Lake Trail but I passed by there this Spring and it looks as if you can scramble up the rocks to the top of the lookout. So as John V points there may not actually be a trail.
Just stand off a bit to survey a route and a suitable canoe landing.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 63

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 8:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is a well defined trail up to the top of Florence, it is the canoe landing that is not so apparent.
 Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

any pointers on finding it? i've hiked up a ffew climbs without a trail, and although fun, it feels silly when you run across the trail on the way down.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 64

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The trail starts in the bay below the peninsula campsite (red dot) Like I said it is not very apparent. It is very shallow bay and near the landing point there were a couple of downed popular trees inpeding the landing area.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 65

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The trail is quite short and ascends steadily approx. 20 min. to the top. As you near the top it becomes a large rock knob and you have to do a bit of high stepping and scrambling up to the final lookout. Be carefull not to fall off !

Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

thanks again! looks great!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home