Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * 2 week canoe route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

hatin_the_city

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 9:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

first off i would like to say what a wonderful job everyone is doing. me and a buddy are planning a 2 week trip intro temagami. we were there last year and went south to the temagami river before we lost our canoe in the rapids. we are fairly experienced but i was wonderin if anyone had a good route that will take 2 weeks. portaging isnt a problem but white water might be a problem (again). thanx in advance
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 221

Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 6:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

hatin_the_city:
Do you have a copy of Hap Wilson's book Canoeing,Kayaking and Hiking in Temagami?
That would be a good place to start looking for a trip that would suit your skills and time available.
Also, do you want to go on a more remote trip or stay in an area where they may be many other people?
 Link to this message

hatin_the_city

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

we have a few maps and books, but we were wonderign if there were more remote places with less boats. we looked through a lot of routes and none seemed to fit our schedule. we were thinking of just talking to the outfitters and hopefully they can help us out more. thank you anyways
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hatin... from a guy with a few miles (or clicks as preferred in the north country) under the keel here.

Take a look at the Ferguson Bay, Sharp Rock inlet, Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika, Temagami circle loop. While it is listed as a 4-6 day trip, you can stretch it into several more days by going north off of Diamond up into Lady Evelyn and off to Walsh and Sirdevan for a diversion. It will give you a variety of different lakes (sandy bottom, rocky bottom where you can see 30' down to see the fish among the rocks, and a river with liftovers and lots of opportunities for fishing for northerns. It is marked as Rooute #6 on the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources map of "Canoeing in the Temagami Area" available at many of the stores in the Temagami area. No matter where you go, you will love it! if you are a back country camper as most of these lakes do not have motor craft on them. Blessings! and if you go, repost and let us know how the portages are for Walsh and Sirdevan as the last time I was there three years ago}, they were a bit of a challenge with blow-downs and soggy cordory trails.
 Link to this message

hatin_the_city

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

we ended up going from amina nippissing down to eagle lake then turner and walsh all the way up to center falls and maple mountain then across LE down the montreal. as for the portage at sidervan lake......well thats a different story on itself. we happened to come up to it just after it rained and it was the only portage that gave us trouble... it was way too boggy, i slipped and my leg sank down, all the way past my knee. but it was all worth it!!!
p.s i got an error message saying i cant use the word "a w h o l e "
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Did you lose the shoe??? is my question...

Thanks for the update. Did the Sirdevan to Walsh portage in September three years ago in September after three weeks of no rain... and it was mushy then!

Were the blowdowns removed between Walsh and Lady Evelyn?

Glad you had an awesome trip. You did some long treks but am sure saw some of our Creator's best works!

Hope to do the north country this fall with brother, nephew and good canoeing friend (who snores loudly, ~ but I love it... he keeps the bears away!) Will let you know how it goes.

By the way, has there been any bear reports like we had two years ago???

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home