Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through August 16, 2005 * Advice on Temagami River -Wawaiskakshi Loop < Previous Next >

Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

During the 3rd week of August I am planning on taking a canoe trip starting from Thistle Lake (Island Lake) down the Temagami River (done this one many times) past River Valley and then up to Chinugichi River. According to my maps it then splits (going to Murray LK and or up Wawiashkashi) There are no details if it is possible to go up this way. Is it? or do we have to take the longer route and go up via Maskinonge Lake?

We would then connect up to Manitou, Gull Lake, to Temagami, Cross Lake and then Red Cedar and back to our friends cottage on Thistle.

Has anyone done this before? How long would you give yourself. 6-7 hours of canoe a day with rest and exploration for the rest.

Thanks in advance.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 223

Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

bigwolf:
I think the part of your trip you are asking questions about is described in Hap Wilson's book as Route number 1. There is a way from Murray Lake back to the Sturgeon or you could go up Maskinonge and go through Gawasi Lake to get to the Sturgeon then down a bit to Wawiashkashi.As I reread you post, I am thinking that you are asking a slightly different question though. Are you asking if it is possible to go back up the Sturgeon from River Valley to get to Wawiashkaski?Hap describes this reverse trip in his write up.
Ed.
 Link to this message

onlypassnthru

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 7:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bigwolf,

In late May, several of us did Murray Lake, Chinugichi River, Sturgeon River to River Valley (not as far down as the Temagami River.) Four of us did it in one day downstream, in kayaks, and we only did half of Murray Lake. There are several rapids in the Chinugichi that you would have to line your canoes up, and at least one just below upper Murray Lake that you would need to portage (200-300 meters but partly on a road.) There are several rapids in the Sturgeon that you would have to portage going upstream too (Glen Afton at Cowboy LaBellís camp for one.)

It can be done, and the reverse route is the one Ed mentions in Hap Wilsonís guide. I doubt you could do it going up-stream against the current in 6-7 hours, you might allow two full days, and it might even take three depending on your experience level, what you are carrying, and the make-up of your party.

At Murray Lake there is a nice lodge (Pine Falls) on the way to the lift over to Maskinonge Lake. Pine Falls is a good place to stop for a meal, and a beer.

Bill
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,

Your point: As I reread you post, I am thinking that you are asking a slightly different question though. Are you asking if it is possible to go back up the Sturgeon from River Valley to get to Wawiashkaski?Hap describes this reverse trip in his write up.

Yes this is is what I am asking. I am thinking of going up the Sturgeon from River Valley as this seems like a more direct route than going to Maskignonge and then thru Kelly's Farm and that long 3500 meter portage. Can it be done? Would it be faster/easier to go to Maskisgnonge and the portage? I have also heard it may be quite shallow, dry up there and lots of lining may be required. Any other thoughts appreciated. How long would it take going up from River to wawiashaski?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 224

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bigwolf:
I think you have to go with onlypassnthru's comments and what you can get from Hap's description of Route 1 on page 54 of his new book.
I have not done this section of the Sturgeon although I have driven along it on the 805 a number of times. The rapids at Cowboy Labelle's will definitely have to be portaged as well as some others. Hap makes the comment that "upstream travellers will find the current fairly strong".
Ed.
 Link to this message

bigwolf

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed,

Appreciate your thoughts. Any other comments by others well appreciated.

Will post an update once we do this loop.
Best Regards.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home