Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Emergency access points and campsites < Previous Next >

Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

never having led a trip in temagami (tagged along only), i would like to confirm a few locations. Hap Wilson's latest mentions a lodge on Mendelssohn lake (north of maple mountain, near Montreal river)-- does anyone know the name or if there is a phone? i can't find it on the internet. are there any other places to find help or a phone near smoothwater or florence lakes? or the lady evelyn river between florence and wilson's ecolodge?

as for campsites, can anyone confirm or recommend campsites on katherine lake on the lady evelyn river, willow island lake (south of sucker gut) and near mowat landing?

any info would be most helpful. thanks to all for sharing their advice, experience and knowledge. this has been an excellent resource and i will try my best to report anything after i get back.

amy
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 8:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi amy

I can provide a bit of info:

There is a campsite on the south site of Katherine Lake about half way along the lake, also one at the start of the portage to the north channel.

If you are doing the north channel there is a poor campsite about 2/3 of the way along the Helen Falls portage. There is a really nice site about halfway along the Centre Falls portage which directly overlooks the falls. It sounds from your request that you are doing the south channel though.

Hope this helps.

Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are a pair of campsites just inside the mouth of the channell leading to Mowats from LE Lake . One on each side of the channel . In normal conditions, you can get to them from Mowats in a couple hours. The one on the eastern side is larger . There is also a small site on one of the islands out in the main part of the lake just outside the mouth . Be aware that during summer this channel sees a fair amount of motor boat activity, so it isn't the quietest place .
One other thing to note is that based on what I can see you will be traversing LE lake. If the wind is really picking up, don't hesitate to cut through Sugar/Angler lakes to avoid the big water . While it involves portaging, the trails are all decent and it does offer some quiet time away from the power boats and cottage crowd . There are several nice campsites along here as well . Don't know how fast you are travelling, but you can do this shortcut in a day from Mowats if you put your mind and body to it.
 Link to this message

amy

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

yes, i'm planning for the south channel, but it's good to know what's around if we have to alter plans.

mowat landing is our final pick up destination, and we'll be approaching from the montreal, so no travel on lady evelyn lake. i am planning on camping near mowat landing the night before the pick up, and the planning map shows a campsite near town, and a few just past the dam.

thanks for the directions!
 Link to this message

dgpile

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, August 5, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Some years the lodge on Mendelssohn Lake appears unoccupied while in '02 it had guests sitting along the water's edge. If I ever saw a name on the lodge it did not register.

There are some grassy sites close to the portage out of Skull where we stopped for lunch and as you approach Spray Creek to the right or northeast end of Mendelssohn Lake there appears to be a sandy beach which might be one of the camp sites Hap mentions in his earlier Temagami guide. We have never pulled over to investigate.

On our 3 trips through we have camped twice at the grassy northern shore site that is harder and harder to find due to the grass which has grown up at the river bank. In '98 a tree had fallen across the tent area making it into a "front room" and a "back room".

The last trip in '02 we stopped at the small island which is almost opposite the other site. The island was pretty dusty and we used it for our last night prior to the half day paddle down to Mowat.

-Jester
 Link to this message

bush_pilot

Post Number: 72

Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

For emergency use rent a Satellite phone it will even give you your Lat. and Long. if you require air evacuation. And the best part is its free (the Medivac) if you are a Canadian citizen.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home