Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Route 5 Red Ceder Info < Previous Next >

Link to this message

msh

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 17, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am planning to do the Jumping Cariboo Red Ceder Loop in September and am looking for some first hand info on campsites and conditions from Cross Lake to Red Ceder as both the maps and Hap's book are a little vague. Anyone been there lately?
 Link to this message

canuhed

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 19, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Its been a few years since I travelled through there but I seem to remember a nice site on Wasaksina. Its at the NW corner of the lake where it portages over to Denedus. On hap's map it shows only a triangle on the water.
 Link to this message

bateaux

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

msh,

Are you goind down the Temagami River? Consider it, it's a great day's shot.
 Link to this message

msh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 9:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are doing a circuit starting at Jumping Cariboo. We will be going down a small stretch of the Temagamie between Cross and Red Ceder.
 Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I did this loop in spring, starting on the Marten River.

- Great site on Red Cedar on sand spit. Note: some garbage there, but still nice.

- Nice site on Jumping Caribou on point as you enter the lake up from the creek. Highway traffic not too bothersome.

- Several nice sites between Jumping C and Brophy. Note: Some appeared to be numbered, I don't know why...

- Wasakina; beautiful site on large island in N end of lake. They don't get much better.

- Cross Lake; numerous choice site.

- Temagami River; great river site along portage.

Other notes:
Serious ATV traffic between Red Cedar and Jumping Caribou. Some portages now ATV rut tracks, other traditional portages somewhat distored by roads and ATV trails. May not appear exactly as depicted in guide. Numerous cottages on lower portion as well.

Still a great trip! Best portion in my opinion is that bit you are doing from Jumping Caribou on.

Chris
 Link to this message

msh

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Chris,

We will try to spend as much time as possible on the northern end of the loop. Hope to get from Red Ceder to Jumping Cariboo in a day to decrease some of the ATV contact you mention. Is the sand spit campsite on Red Ceder up on the northeren part of the lake?
Mike

Link to this message

ca_shannon

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

msh,

My friend and I are planning the same trip this fall. We are heading up 25 Sept and putting in at the Central Lake Temagami Access Point. We plan on staying for a week and doing the loop down to Red Cedar and back. Perhaps I'll see you there.

Chris
 Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 9:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Mike!

You should have no problem going from Red Cedar to Jumping Cariboo in a day, weather permitting, as this is what I did solo.

Yes - it is the site in the northern part of Red Cedar. It's just a shame that such a nice site gets fouled with garbage. It seems a paradox that areas with motorized traffic are routinely the most messed up. Just plain lazy and disrespectful!
 Link to this message

msh

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chris,
We are going Sept 3, I'll pass on anything that stands out. Thank you all for the info.
 Link to this message

ca_shannon

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 1:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

msh,

Have a great trip. I look forward to any updates or additional information that you can offer when you get back; particularly regarding travel on the Temagami River, water temperatures and good (or bad) campsites.

Cheers,
Chris
 Link to this message

msh

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

ca_shannon,
We just returned from doing the loop. Great weather. We started from Jumping Cariboo, so I will describe the loop from there.

The creek from Greenlaw into Wasaksina is dry. This creates a portage of 1 - 1+1/2 km instead of 50m! Be forewarned.

The campsites at the north end of Wasaksina are all really nice, the best way be the one farthest west. Campsites on Cross and Red Ceder are a bit used as there is boat traffic. We stayed at the river campsite at the third rapid on the Temagami which was really nice. We portaged the rapids as the water was low and we are not really white water canoeists. Note that someone from the first fishing/hunting camp on Red Ceder was setting bear bait barrels at the end of the last rapid before Red Ceder!!
The portages from Hangstone to Jumping Cariboo are a bit tricky. Going from Hangstone to Norris, you have to turn left at the bush road for about 100 meters to find the trail. From Norris to Mann, the "cabin" you walk beside is in fact a hunting and fishing club. From Mann to Twinsister, portage left on the road for about 100 - 200 meters and turn right onto an unmarked overgrown trail. There is no "private road" sign as per Haps book.

We swam everyday. The campsites were generally good. The one on Red Ceder at the northern end is good as is the more northern site on Hangstone. Cross was a mixed bag. I hope this helps, have fun

Mike
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 449

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Great info. Thanks, Mike.
 Link to this message

sprocketman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello................I am looking for a good lake with little pressure (pike would be prefeered .....Or because of the ATV traffic is this a thing of the past.............Any first hand help would be great ................Lloyd
www.sprocketminibikes.com

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home