Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * User fees < Previous Next >

Link to this message

krissy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

We are heading up to LEL / helen falls next week and I have come across some threads that say there are user fees now. Could someone clarify this for me??
 Link to this message

ivan_r

Post Number: 5

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello krissy, yes there are fees:
Temagami's backcountry parks:

Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater
Obabika River
Solace
Sturgeon River
Makobe-Grays River

Fees will not apply to Crown land (public land outside of parks) and conservation reserves.

Fees will apply to everyone who stays overnight in the parks (this excludes those who stay on land-use permits, land leases and private property within park boundaries). There are no fees for day use. Anyone coming in for a day trip, even if they stop at a campsite and erect a tent, will not pay a fee.

Overnight fee per person per night, April 30 to October 31:

6-17yr old - $4.00 per night
18 yr + - $7.50 per night

Hope this clarifies it for you.
 Link to this message

ca_shannon

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Krissy,

Let me boil down what Ivan_r was saying... there are fees, but they are for canoeists only. Any lodges, camps, or other commercial facilities that are actually making money off of Temagami are exempt of the fees. Oh yeh, the other thing is that the fees are going to other parks in Ontario, (probably car camping Provincial Parks like Sand Banks in Picton) not Temagami. They have stated that the money will not go to Temagami. And tbe park rangers... they are not there to improve the park (pick up garbage, create thunderboxes, maintain trails) that is still a responsibility of the users/volunteers (you know, the ones paying the fees), the rangers are there to ENFORCE and charge fines (something like $100.00 per night of infraction I understand).

Yep, one way or another the Province is going to make us pay for all of their lost revenues for not letting them sell every inch of crown land to logging companies.

Perhaps I sound a bit bitter... I would have no problem with paying user fees if:

- the money collected went back into the park!!
- everyone pays... and those making money off the place pay more!!!
- the rates were lower... they are not much less than in car camping parks with washrooms, water, etc... they should be half what they are!!!

Sorry for the vent.
 Link to this message

krissy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think the vent is called for if that is what is happening. When I first heard of the user fees I thought they were investing in the area but this appears not to be true!!

Thanks for the info...

Link to this message

c_mel

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Could you imagine access controls and user fees for the Temagami area Crown Lands?

How are "they" ever going to successfully and harmoniously "manage" the various recreation, development and extraction interests in this convoluted amalgam of Parks, Conservation Reserves and Crown Lands?

All this talk of Park Management Plans, Conservation Area Management Plans and a Crown Land Recreation Plan all somehow fused into the Temagami Integrated Plan. On the surface it might sould like a good idea, but is it practical or even possible?

Take a look:
http://www.ontarioparks.com/english/tema_planning. html
 Link to this message

kevin

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Its just a money grab, simple as that. They see a way to steal a buck, I mean charge "user fees" to manage and protect the area, Protect from who ?? They are the ones letting in the loggers and minners to destroy the bush ! The people who pass thru the land, canoeing,camping,fishing could never do the amount of damage they allow under there "Management plan "
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 32
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 8:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

ca_Shannon:
I think you make some good points about user fees in parks. I travel in parks a lot; both interior canoe camping and sometimes car camping too.
I can pay up to $28 for a "car" campsite in some Provincial Parks. An interior canoe site in a provincial park costs between $ 7.50 to $10 per person depending on which park. So travellling solo it is far cheaper to camp in the interior than using a car camping site. But that only applies to SOLO camping.
What disturbs me is this: A group of 6 people canoe camping in a park will pay up to $60 for one night. THat same group car camping in a park with facilities (showers, electricity, etc )will pay only 20 -28 dollars, assuming they are on one campsite with one vehicle. So, we, as low impact canoe campers are paying far more for a canoe site than for a car camping site with obvious facilities that cost money to build. This doesn't make sense to me. There is lots to rant about on this subject. In a car camping park I also wonder why a person in a little low impact tent pays just as much as a big Winnabago full of people...burning electricity etc....

ALso I agree that the mix of Crown Land and Park in Temagami is going to be a tricky problem for MNR / Ontario Parks. Expect to see Crown Land fees mixed with park fees. I can't imagine any other way for MNR to "conrol" fees in Temagami. I imagine the MNR / OParks are already thinking about this. I don't like it (that's for sure) but I think it may be coming.
This may have to be run by a public review though .... so it may be possible to "fight" it if enough people are against the concept.
 Link to this message

neupond

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 1:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can tell you that they were checking camping permits earlier in the summer when we were up there. So they know how to at least enforce it...

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home