Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Looking for a 3 day trip with 13 yr old son < Previous Next >

Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 9:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

My son has just returned from camp and wants to desparately go on a canoe trip with me. We have gone as a family many times, but this will be the first that he is in the bow. We are looking for a do-able 3 day trip to do on Thanksgiving. I do not want to dampen his enthusiasm so I do not want to embark on too big a trip. Any good ideas??? Please help
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 225

Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 8:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bill:
Where do you live?
There may be some non Temagami routes that would be closer to home for you and be relatively easy to do for a long weekend.
Ed.
 Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,
We are in the Niagara Penninsula, but love canoeing Temagamy, however, more then open to any and all suggestions!
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 107

Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might want to consider a small loop trip near an access point?
Maybe even base camp out of Finlayson Point P.P. and do day trips?

You could hit some bad weather at Thanksgiving.

You want the trip to be memorable for all the right reasons.

Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 226

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 7:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bill:
I was going to suggest that you look into a weekend trip through the Leslie Frost Area , North of Minden. A Chrismar Adventure Map , www.chrismar.com , is available and there are several short routes you could consider that would meet your time frame. The Leslie Frost routes are now managed by Haliburton County as The Haliburton Highland Water Trails. http://www.algonquinhighlands.ca/water/canoe_route s.htm
You could also consider the Massassaugua PP over by Parry Sound.

If you really want to go to the Temagami Area, consider the Matabitchuan River route or perhaps the Iceland Lake route just off the Central Access road.
I'm thinking that Temagami is a bit far for a Thanksiving weekend trip unless you can get away early and come back a bit later.Also the weather can get pretty cold and wet at that time of the year.
Regards,
Ed.
 Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 8:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed & Kim,
Thanks for the insight. We have as a famliy (of 4) done alot of weekend routes around Minden (from Kevin Callan's books) over the years..I guess I just naturally thought of Temagami, but maybe will look them over now that you brought them up. Again many thanks Bill
 Link to this message

wmac

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed,
I have taken your advice and settled on a trip closer to home in the Kiwarthas. Thanks for the prodding to think of places besides Temagami. We have picked our route along the Long Lake loop, ( and possibly Buzzard & Shark Lakes weather permitting), near the Leslie Frost Centre. If you have any comments or suggestions...still more then happy to hear them!
Again many thanks Bill
 Link to this message

shiellb

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You might try the Poker Lake loop in the Minden area.
 Link to this message

shiellb

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I guess I'm a little late for this thought:-(

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home