Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Looking for 8-day Trip < Previous Next >

Link to this message

billr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Folks,

In about a week a friend and I will heading to Temagami for an 8-day canoe trip and I am ashamed to say we still haven't settled on a route. Normally by now I have all the topos in hand and scribbled up with route notes. But - not for this trip. Route selection in Temagami is a little intimidating when you don't know the area. Your help is appreciated. We are looking for solitude first and formost. Second priority is good fishing - for walleye and pike. We are experienced canoists but looking for a flat water trip primarily. I had my eye on Haps Route #6 - but am completely open to other ideas. Thanks - Bill.
 Link to this message

msh

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 9:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Bill,
I did this loop in September about three years ago. You can do it in 5-6 days quite easily. Take the time to see the old growth forest. When we went, we met two people the whole week! Campsites are plentiful and the only mean portage I remember is leaving Diamond. A very pleasant trip

Mike
 Link to this message

hillbilly

Post Number: 148

Posted on Thursday, September 1, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Bill
Start at Sandy Inlet,Ferguson Bay, off the Red Squirrel Rd north of Temagami. Go to Diamond Lake, Wakimika Lake, to Obabika Lake, Walk the Old Growth Forest Trails, See Spirit Rock, Then south on the Obabika River to the Wawiagama River and Wawiagamia Lake, portage to Obabika Lake and north on Obabika Lake to the portage to Obabika Inlet and through Eye Lake to Lake Temagami and north to Sandy Inlet, Ferguson Bay and your take out. 8 days is good for this trip. Stop and see Alex Mathias at the mouth of the Obabika River before you go down river. Good trip and you could see moose, beaver, otter muskrat and many other animals.
Bill

(Message edited by hillbilly on September 1, 2005)
 Link to this message

billr

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 2, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Guys. I'm really looking forward to this trip. Hillbilly - I like your version, thanks. Bill.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home