Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Confused re Maple Mountain < Previous Next >

Link to this message

neupond

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 2:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am a regular visitor to Lady Evelyn Lake and am a bit confused. I am hoping you Otterteeth can help me. I recently hike to what I thought was Maple Mountain, but now I am not sure it was not Ishpatina.
Is there a fire tower on Maple Mountain?
If not, I was at Ishpatina ,Eh? (we climbed the tower for a most spectacular view of Ont.)
If there is a tower on each ridge, then I am really confused. I will post a couple of pics to illustrate where we were....

Can you all help me???

Thanks
 Link to this message

neupond

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 2:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

here is pic #2.
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 57

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 2:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

If it was in the vicinity of Lady Evelen Lake, it was most likely Maple Mountain.
I haven't had the oppurtunity to paddle to or hike either, but I know that Ishpatina Ridge lies quite a distance to the West, at the headwaters of the Sturgeon River.
 Link to this message

neupond

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 2:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

here is pic2
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 446

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's Maple Mt. There are towers on both hills.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Sites/mapleht.h tm
 Link to this message

neupond

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks four eyes and Brian, I thought that was the case, just wanted to be certain... Hate to think we were going to the wrong place !!!
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 6:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You are braver than me neupond. When we went up it was quite windy (I suspect it often is up Maple Mt) and I took one look at that ladder and said no way.
 Link to this message

ca_shannon

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Yep, that's maple mountain.

I climbed up Ishpatina Ridge about eleven years ago and it looks nothing like Maple Mountain; in fact it was quite disappointing. The trail up the ridge is not as well used so it was very over grown with brush and small trees. Ishpatina ridge is forested all of the way to the top so you don't get much of a view. The fire tower was mostly torn down, you could only climb up about ten feet (but at least then you could see over the trees).

Cheers,
Chris
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 55

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

"Wonderful" to see all the evidence of "no footprint" hikers that went before you. Some peoples children...sure glad my mother used the wooden spoon on my butt as a child....so I know better!
 Link to this message

neupond

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 1:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

blitzboy - It is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. But hey, it was a heck of a boat ride and climb to get there, I couldn't pass it up !

chris - I have since read an article bout a trek someone made to Ishpatina and thier account was similar, had to hack thier way there.

Irishfield - I couldn't agree more. Note- we did not touch the artwork. In fact, one of our team is lurking in the shadow of the tower, admiring? the handiwork. PS - he is the the park service, so he had some comments when we climbed down !!!!

thanks to all. John

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home