Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Query: Kokoko Bay ruin < Previous Next >

Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 56

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey all,

A couple of weeks ago, I did my first solo canoe trip ever, which was also my first Temegami-region canoe trip ever. I had a great time: paddled from the town, down the NE Arm, up Kokoko Bay into Kokoko Lake, and then north along Fergusan Bay to Sandy INlet, 3 nights there, and then back to the Central Lake Temegami access point. I had an amazing trip, with quite a few lessons learned on the subjects of solitude, food packing, headwinds, tarp shelters, etc etc.

I was paddling up Kokoko Bay, and about 3/4 of the way northwards, I was paddling through this small marshy pond-like widening of the channel (about 2-3 km south of the portage into Kokoko Lake). I found some kind of half sunken barge on the East shorline of this pond, and am guessing it's something related to old log booms or such in the area. Can anybody tell me what this is?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 447

Posted on Friday, September 9, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That looks like a snowmobile track on the left so it may not be so old. Lake Temagami has been inhabited for a long time, and logging is relatively recent. Given all this inhabitation it may be difficult to determine what it was used for.
 Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey there, four_eyez, great to hear from you again! Congratulations on the first solo trip.

Bet you've got the next trip already planned.

Can we look forward to a trip log and more photos?

Barbara
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 58

Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey, thanks. I actually don't have my next trip "planned" in any solid way, but of course I always have dreams and goals. I'm definately going to try and work out a longer, more hardcore trip into Temegami next year. But actual logistics (how to juggle working as a canoe camp trip leader, and personal trippig) are up in the air.

I suppose maybe I'll pull together a trip report of sorts -there are indeed some photos and experiences I want to share. I'll save it for some nice cool day later in the fall, though. I'm heading off to Sweden tommorow for 3 weeks. (Will get many chances to go for day hikes, maybe even one chance to canoe up in a northern province, and one chance to go kayaking in the Baltic)
 Link to this message

dave_l

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I believe this is a barg that was used to transport an old tractor that was used skid pine logs that were harvested by a local construction company. If this is the same barge I'm thinking of it has been their since the late 80's. I think the remnants of the old tractor might yet be back in the bush near this location.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home