Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 3, 2011 * Chiniguchi, marjorie lake route. < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 112
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2010 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey guys,
I'm heading up to Kettle Falls via the BackDoor Route and using the Marjorie Lake route going up and Laura Lake returning.
Any nuances I should be aware of on any of this. I have done the Laura Lake Section and I have gone the regular route to Dougherty, but the Back Door and Marjorie are new territory so I thought I could save some grief by availing myself of this compendium of knowledge/forum.
I am figuring three nights to get to Kettle Falls. Realistic? Hope so. Any report on current Sturgeon River water levels would also be appreciated. If low I will cut back in above the Gorge, if OK, I will cut across at Parson's Crossing.
Sorry I will miss the gathering. It is my one weekend at home between successive Temagami trips and a hike down the Bruce Trail from Tobermory to Lion's Head...so I cannot be too disappointed.
Have a great time up there, I should be passing through a few days later.
Gotta' say that reading this forum keeps the passion for Temagami foremost in my thoughts. Tough enough when working in downtown TO.
Shalom
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 876

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Fireman:
There were some recent postings on the Backdoor route.... try the search function to pull them up.

When are you going through Obabika and how far south are you going?
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The port from Wolf north into Laundry uses the road for a portion and it's uphill . I've always preferred the route from the north for that reason. The road is also full of loose gravel/rocks and can be an ankle turner if you get careless. I did a loop up Laura creek and down through Marjorie in June. Good water levels at that time and ports in good shape.

Curious about the Sturgeon levels also, have some time for trip in the next couple weeks and thinking on Ishpatina via Hamlow, and then down through Regan, Solace, down the Sturgeon and then back through one of the routes to Matagamasi.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 5:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I think I will be in Obabika on September 2oth or 21st. No further south than the Wakimika Creek and then up into the lake and back into Diamond. Are you around?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 878

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 6:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Not sure yet, but if I am it will be in the south basin.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 879

Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 8:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually, when I look at my calendar, I should be on or near Pine Point on September 20th, but likely only in the morning as we take down and clean up following COTS.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 114
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2010 - 6:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Is pine point on Obabika at the portage trail up towards Bob Lake? If so, I will be coming down that trail first thing in the morning. Maybe I will see you. Besides a hangover, what will you be wearing? I am a big guy in a big yukon red canoe, hope we meet.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 880

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

That's it.
I will probably look like my Avatar.
Not likely, that I will have a hangover.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 294

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 8:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

fireman

There might be a few COTS campers at your put in and few stragglers left across the lake at the Mathias homestead.(Obabika River)
Stop in at the cabin and say hello ....if you can?
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

For sure, hope you are still there. I have been to the cabin before, it's like taking a step back into the 70's. I am heading into Wakimika but will shoot down to the cabin first. I will make an offering, maybe aspirin or alka seltzer??
Anyway, you boys enjoy yourself and send out lots of positive energy into our messed up world.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 295

Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 3:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I will still be there on Monday til about noon.

Bring your offering to the cabin.
It might be needed.

The gathering is Saturday, Sept 18th.
Any way you can make it ?
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 4:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sorry, can't happen. I'm returning from Tobermory that day and leaving the next morning. I will do my best to meet up with you at Alex's, though. Have a great time.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 296

Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 9:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ok...see you up there.

I will save a frosty pint for you .

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home