Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 3, 2011 * Fire tower < Previous Next >

Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 7:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was recently paddling north on Dufferin Lk, near the top of the lake. To the north-west, I could clearly see a fire tower at the top of a hill. I'm guessing it was less than 5km away (hard to tell). Does anyone know where this tower is located, or if there is a trail going to it?
Is there a listing, or a map, of all the fire towers in the Temagami canoe area that are still standing/accessible?
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1241

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

The Donovan tower is located northwest of Okiniada Lake on Okiniada Ridge. There used to be a trail from the Beauty Lake Road on the west side of the Montreal River. Don't know if it is still there.

There is no complete listing of the Temagami towers, yet. I am working on it. Could use some help from other tower adventurers.
 Link to this message

canoedog

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://ontarioftl.bravehost.com/

this is the list of standing towers in the province

http://ontarioftl.bravehost.com/stillstanding.html

Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1242

Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2010 - 5:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Actually, that is not a complete list of the standing towers. Rather it is only those Clayton Self (the author) knows of. There is an appeal for more on the page. MNR does not possess a list, and Clayton and Robert Eno have been working on finding them.

I am not looking for a list of the Temagami towers. I am looking for folks who will go out to the towers, take photos, GPS the route and doing some surveying of the grounds and structure (or structures) to help me in compiling access info and history.
 Link to this message

jimmm

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2010 - 6:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the details. It's always interesting to see these old towers off in the distance when out paddling. My father worked in the Caribou tower back in the 50's, and has fond memories of his Temagami days. I will pass these links along to him.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 - 8:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

excellent project brian.
have been wondering for years if anyone ever gets up to the tower on pinetorch ridge. my wife and i tried to get up there twice in the 90's, the second time nearly getting seriously lost. as you probably know there is a trail from the campsite which starts out well and then becomes a matter of searching for blazes tree by tree... eventually the blazes peter out, reappearing here and there seemingly at random and leading off in various directions...
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 268

Posted on Wednesday, September 1, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I made it half way there this spring. My experience was as you described, though the trail has been worked out a little more now until this approximate halfway point, on top of a high ridge where Pinetorch tower finally comes into view, a long way away!!

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home