Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 3, 2011 * South Muskego Route < Previous Next >

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, September 2, 2010 - 7:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Guys,
I am reading about this area and have never stepped foot in it. You know that I have travelled a lot of the Chinuguchi Area, the Sturgeon, Smoothwater, Lady Evelyn...
Do you think I would enjoy South Muskego. I am not too, too concerned with the physical challenge, although I do want a good workout. The days of looking for the long portages are over...
But is there a week of travelling through this area or would I exhaust it in less time. It looks kind of intriguing. If you Yodas of Temagami give me the thumbs up, I may head off into the unknown for a week and hope for the best. I had been planning on a classic Diamond, Wakimika, Sucker Gut, North and South Lady Evelyn, ShangriLa trip, but I have done those places many, many times now.
I guess the question is, is it fairly remote feeling and is it clean?
I know it is a very subjective question, but you guys have a sense of where I am at.
Thanks in advance.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 229

Posted on Thursday, September 2, 2010 - 10:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thumbs up. Will involve zig-zagging to use up a week though. Make sure to take in Muskego River. To extend your trip, look to the eastern Muskego, e.g. Gullrock, the Justin lakes, High Falls, McLennon, etc.

Unknown only to some...

Lots of old growth.

Clean, yes. Remote, sorta. Travelled by locals but not canoeists. You might see a few motorboats or camps.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 886

Posted on Friday, September 3, 2010 - 7:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Aston and Turner have outpost camps on them. The Aston one is popular throughout most of the Summer.
If you want a challenge, start on Diamond and go into Lady Evelyn then into Angler, Goodfish and Sugar Lakes. From Sugar go south through Nicholl and into Isbister (an old nastawgan route). Then east into Turner through Barter. In Turner decide if you have time to go to Eagle and into Whitewater and Anima Nipissing or if time is not available go south into Aston and out via Whitefish Bay.
The creek from Barter to the pond going into Turner may be a problem due to low water at the start, but up stream a bit the beavers will rescue you.
Poke around ottertooth here for the maps.
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, September 3, 2010 - 9:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

one thing, this would be the right time of year for this area, as it is one bug-infested nightmare even in early august!
you can also start at mowat landing (or latchford) and do the 3000-ish portage from the montreal river up to anima nippissing. there is an interesting old abandoned logging alligator about halfway. it is a very nice portage, good trail, obviously a bit more work uphill than down- highly recommended. i also have a soft spot for that section of the montreal which is very picturesque.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, September 3, 2010 - 8:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well Boys, I think you have convinced me. Some new rocks and trees to look at...
I've got seven nights and if you think the bugs are out of the way, then I guess it is a go. Have to check if I have the topos but I imagine Temagami Outfitters has them.
I am out of Toronto until after Thanksgiving (God Bless the 24 shift and the fire service) and under no circumstances want to drive into that place until I am forced to by work.
It looks intriguing and the Old Growth is very compelling. I think I am a bit too comfortable with my familiar haunts, a bit of the unknown seems just about right.
Ed, I think I will do the course you reccommend, so if there is anything you left out, let me know.
Lots of rain this week should help. I am up on the Chiniguchi on Sunday so I will get a sense of water levels, although it sounds like they vary from area to area.
On a different note, a friend just returned from a Voyageur expedition from ThunderBay to Ottawa. 29 foot boat, seating for 14 paddlers, unfortunately, only five showed up although three more were pressed from the docks of The Sue.sounds like quite a way to travel. Curious if any of you have tried it. Have a wonderful holiday weekend, everybody and dream of the loons. ciao
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 887

Posted on Saturday, September 4, 2010 - 8:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

You can print off your own topos from the NRCan website "Toporama".http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/site/english/m aps/topo/map/
You could go in via the Red Squirrel Road and access by Sandy Inlet, then go into Diamond, LEL, Sugar Lake CR and south into Nichol and then Isbister.This route is nastawgan and has some magnificent trees along the way. The Isbister portage goes up over a hill and has never been logged. Also, there may be a shortcut from Sugar to Nichol that follows the creek if the water levels are sufficient. Start the portage directly behind the island on Sugar and after a short distance it may go off to your right down to the creek. Check it out to see if you can use it.Otherwise just carry on towards Nichol Lake. From Isbister you cross over to Barter Lake. The ponds here may be dry this year. (see the picture here on ottertooth) When I did the route there was about 3-4inch of water to contend with, so I was able to float my canoe and drag it across.There is no particular track to follow across here... just look to the other side for a high rock outcropping that should have a few rocks piled up on the top and head in that direction.When you get to Turner there is a nice site on the north end of the island and a throne with a view.You then need to decide how much time you have left and either go south into Aston and out or go east to Eagle and Whitewater lake and into Anima Nipissing before returning via McLean,Carrying and Red Squirrel Lakes into Sandy Inlet again.
The portages through here,into Nichol,Isbister, Barter etc are a bit harder to locate, as they are not well used... but cruise along the shore lines where you think they should be and you will find them.If you think you have it get out and look about for discarded socks, running shoes etc. to confirm. (left by kids)
If you do the route please let us know how the portages were, state of the campsites and TB's etc.
I am away until the end of the month. So if you have more questions hopefully Brian or Curly can help answer them for you.

Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, September 4, 2010 - 5:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, I will print off your directions and take them with me. That way...I have someone to blame.
Thanks and have a great time away. Lots of rain right now is helping, I am sure.
talk to you at the end of the month.
 Link to this message

simonb

Post Number: 46

Posted on Thursday, September 9, 2010 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I've been through the area a few times now, and we have always enjoyed it. It has a nice secluded feel, even though it is more easily accesible than a lot of other areas of temagami. The route we did last year took us through the muskego river, and was an easy 5 day loop. On the map below I think it is the green line that we actually ended up.

I have a more detailed map if you'd like. It is a large JPEG format around 4MB, so I'd need an email to send it to?

Enjoy your trip, and let us know how it goes!

Simon

PS bring a rod and some heavy line, the Pike grow very large back there!

Link to this message

tiggo

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, September 12, 2010 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Simonb , interesting looking routes . Could you please send the detailed map to me . E-mail to topofhill2001@yahoo.ca . Thanks in advance .
 Link to this message

yellowcanoe

Post Number: 78

Posted on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

@simonb}

Could you please email me the detailed map too? My address is paulhoy@gmail.com.

(Message edited by yellowcanoe on December 28, 2010)
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 912

Posted on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This route is covered on this ottertooth map:

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/muskego-so uth.htm#map

...which gives the portage lengths etc. The section south from Sugar through Nichol Lake to Isbister and across to Barter and Turner is pure nastawgan, with very large marker trees along the way.The campsite on Isbister has been used by hunters many years ago, so it is not too clean, with old plastic sheeting and cans, bottles etc. laying about, but it is still a great trip for the adventurous canoeist.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home