Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 3, 2011 * Chiniguchi - Laura Creek Look trip report < Previous Next >

Link to this message

cmkl

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 1:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Now appearing here: http://www.cmkl.ca/chiniguchi-laura-creek/
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1250

Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have you dried out? My favourite time of the year in Temagami. Thanks for sharing.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 897

Posted on Friday, October 15, 2010 - 3:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I slipped on the same log going into Laura last September. I threw the canoe off as I went into the bog up to my waist with 1 leg still on the log.The canoe landed right side up. I was able to grab onto it so I didn't completly submerge and use it to extricate myself from the mess, then drag it along until I reached more solid footing.

I don't think you are the only person to have slipped there.
Good report, well written and humorous in a dry sort of way.I enjoyed reading it.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 128
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2010 - 9:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I also enjoyed the trip log very much. The best reading comes out of the adversity which is also the source of all the real humour. No one wants to read a story of an uneventful, predictable successful summitting of Everest...They want to read the version where the oxygen fails, they forgot the stove fuel and are attacked by an irate Yeti..
I think a lot of canoe trip journals could benefit from a bit more self-deprecating humour. Let's face it, when things go wrong out there; usually you or your friends are the ones to blame. Therein lies the element we all relate to. Personally, I like the situations when you know in advance you are doing something foolish and when it goes sideways, you are not really surprised. It all goes back to White Men lighting BBQ's. One last jaunt up to The Mag next weekend and that closes out a glorious season of paddling. Seven trips. never enough.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 898

Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 8:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

So are we going to hear any more from you this year Fireman? Or are you going into hibernation for the next several months?
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed, writing about canoe trips is what keeps the dream alive through the winter!! That and shopping for gear or studying topo maps.
Plus, I am stuck in a firehall with a computer, what else would I do?
I may try to extend the season a bit and go on an early winter trip back to the Mag before freeze-up. it is a beautiful time of year to be out. The Scotch never tastes better than when there is a bit of white stuff on the ground and a roaring campfire in front of you.
Hope you are well and still paddling yourself.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 899

Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I am finished paddling for this year and planning for next year's effort.Hopefully.... close to about 90 days starting as soon as the ice goes out.
I might also go winter camping this year if there is enough snow. Last year was a bust as far as snow goes.
You should try winter camping.....A week at -40C is always good for the soul.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2010 - 8:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I love winter camping. We go to Algonquin on the dog sled trails around Sunday Lake and north of there. We have 10 person tupiks made by Craig MacDonald with woodstoves,the whole bit. I was out for four trips last winter, in spite of low snowfall amounts. I've been on the Mag in January, as well, but I was a bit underdressed for the weather that time.
The Outdoor Education class I work with has built komatiks also based on Craig's design and we hitch up the students to pull it all. Louder than dogs but they can make coffee for us, as well.
90 days canoeing?? That is very, very impressive. Sounds like the secret to a successful marriage. Cheers
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 900

Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are some other people in the province and some states who manage more than 90/annum.So to them my modest efforts must look somewhat pedestrian.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home