Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Maple Mtn Question < Previous Next >

Link to this message

samsman

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 8:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I'd like to visit Maple Mtn.
I'd be traveling with my dog (70lbs).
I hear there's a ladder that has to be climbed to reach the summit.
Is there any way around that or do I have to figure out a way to backpack my dog to the top?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 236

Posted on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 8:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Samsman:
I think you could do that with a harness on the dog and a rope that is a bit longer than a leash to help him scramble up the rocks beside the ladder.The slope of the ladder is steep, but it is not nearly at 90 degrees as I recall.
Getting back down in that spot may be a bit more difficult, since most dogs don't go down steep slopes as well as they go up them so you might have to look around a bit for an easier way down to that level..
But you might want to try to engage others here such as alscool who I believe has had his dog, "dogscool" up there during the past few years.My guess is the dog had no problem going either way.
 Link to this message

kevin

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Depending on how nimble your dog is, it should be able to get around the ladder with no problems. I had to bypass the ladder due too a traffic jam (little kids) last summer.
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 67

Posted on Thursday, December 1, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I had heard about the ladder to make the final ascent but never really considered the dogs and as it turned out, it was never an issue. I am pretty sure they scrambled up before we all made it up the ladder and on the decent they just made there own way down. What sort of dog is it?
At 70 lbs it sounds like some sort of sporting breed. I would suggest that you will have no problems with the dog. Here is a pic to give you some idea of what to expect.
 Link to this message

marty_s

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 2, 2005 - 9:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Dogs are usually very resourceful in situations like this . I rock and ice climb with a friend who has a husky and a retriever . More often than not, they are on top of the cliff before we are - they'll find a way on their own . In this case, it's not that long a detour . Don't sweat it .
 Link to this message

samsman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2005 - 7:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for all the replies
It looks like I have naught to worry about.
I swear sometimes Sam is part Mountain Goat.
Here's a pic after a steep climb from the shore at Missinaibi Lake.
 Link to this message

samsman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, December 3, 2005 - 8:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

alscool, I was looking through the archives and found this lovely pic of you and dogscool on Maple Mtn.
http://www.ottertooth.com/discus/show.cgi?tpc=3&po st=1348#POST1348
 Link to this message

moyra

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, December 9, 2005 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tripping with a doggie sounds like alot of fun. I once took my hiking in Algonquin - she had to carry her own food in a fanny pack sinched around her waist. She kicked it off once but when we went back for it she got the jist and didnt do that again. I see the dogs in the pictures are all white. This would probley help with the issue of no shade in a canoe.
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 8:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

When we were on the portage between Diamond and Wakamika this summer we ran into a couple who were tripping with a dog and a cat(!!). The lady ws carrying the cat in a sling across the portage. While I can see having a dog on a trip, I think bringing a cat is a bit silly. I would think that both dogs and cats would be at some risk of being seen as a quick snack by bears, owls, martens and whatever other predators are out there!
 Link to this message

samsman

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 9:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

"I see the dogs in the pictures are all white. This would probley help with the issue of no shade in a canoe."

I have to be careful of the areas around my dog's nose and ears. Lack of pigment makes them susceptible to sunburn.
Other than that I have no problem with him in the canoe.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 243

Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

That is the first time I have seen a dog use a thwart to sit up on.
Smart dog.
 Link to this message

kokko61

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Taking your dog up Maple Mountain should be no problem. I have a German Shepherd and he has been up five times. You don't need to use the ladder to get to the top. Once you come to the base of the cliff, turn left ( keeping the cliff on your right hand side ) picking your way through some rocks and trees you will come to the ridge. You can follow this all the way to the top. I'm sure you and your dog will enjoy it. Good Luck
 Link to this message

dogpaddle

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just to second, or third or fourth, neither you nor the pooch should have any trouble. When we were there half the ladder was torn out of the rock and was lying on the ground. Poochie-girl was 18 months, a Lab, and we all clambered up and down easily without it.
 Link to this message

gudwulf

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, July 4, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Have never seen anything posted here about the plane that crashed on Maple Mountain years ago. News reports posted on Google are sketchy at best.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of what the circumstances were or if any survived? I think about that everytime I see Maple Mountain in the distance. By the way, our dogs Koby and Deese would LOVE to make the hike up the hill! But in a canoe, I don't think there is as smart a dog as Samsman's. What a great picture!
 Link to this message

tess

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 7:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Samsman,

That's one beautiful dog...I have two very similar right now. In the past I had two others, Rex and Amy, both of whom made it up Maple Mountain 4 times in their life time. They were great climbers and loved the trips...knew where we were the second time out when we paddled into Hobart. Could hardly keep them in the canoe as we crossed Tupper. Amy was half fish but Rex sunk like a 50 pound rock so I always had to worry about him.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip. Sam will no doubt meet up with many dog spirits on Maple Mountain. Maybe even Rex and Amy.
 Link to this message

tess

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, July 5, 2006 - 7:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just noticed Samsman posted way back in December. I wonder if he made the trip yet. Would love to hear.
 Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 9:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

A brave and loyal friend is the American Staffordshire Terrier. www.cbc.ca/canada/ottawa/story/2006/07/22/bear.htm l

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home