Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * CARIBOU HUNTING TRIP?? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

i812

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

HELLO, I'M looking for info. on a possible hunting trip next year for caribou. we live in upstate new york. we only have about 3-4 days to go on a hunting trip. we would like to drive up and hunt and drive back home. sorry but famliy,work, and money are the big problem. so that cuts us back on a big rich mans hunting trip. thank you for your help.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 239

Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

You will not find any Caribou in Temagami.
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 61

Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There obviously aren't any this far south, but I've wondered: does the range of Woodland Caribou reach as far as North-Western Ontario?

Also, I'm curious: this may sound like a "stupid" question (although I don't think any question is stupid)... I somehow got the idea in the my head for a while that Elks were related to Woodland Caribou in some way. I know that they aren't the same now, of course (although both in the Dear family), but can anyone give a good differential description?
I was in Sweden a while ago -- and they actually have the same word exchangable for Elk and Moose, which threw me off even more.
 Link to this message

four_eyez

Post Number: 62

Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I actually just answered my own question. In Europe in general, "Elk" refers to Moose, which are the largest of the 'Cervidae' family (family of deers); in North America, Elks are also known as "Red Deer."
Caribou are in the similar family (and also known as "Reindeer" but are a large species on their own, and generally migrate.
Woodland Caribou live in huge herds in Northern Quebec and Labrador, and do of course range into farther parts of northern Ontario. I know I've read somewhere that even Algonquin was once part of their habitat, though not anymore (and I know that Elks were also recently reintroduced into the Algonquin area).
I guess confusion arises when local names are used interchangibly.

Regardless, I think your hunting trip will have to be geared towards some other large species.
 Link to this message

ghost_brigade

Post Number: 17

Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

There is also a herd of Elk that were reintroduced into the Burwash area SW of Sudbury. They have been spotted in the SE lake Panache area and to the East of Klllarney Park. As for Woodland Caribou. Google Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. A place to keep you dreaming for years.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 242

Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

i812;
I meant to get back on here and put up some links, but it didn't happen.Sorry.
For hunting regulations in Ontario go to:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/ This will lead you to several other links with specific regulations.
I am not a hunter, so I am not overly familiar with the Rules, but I think that Caribou in Ontario are a protected species. Someone from OFAH ( Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters) may correct me.

I think there are Caribou in the Hudson Bay lowlands,in Wabikimi Provincial Park and in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. There is also a small herd on one of the islands in Lake Superior, maybe Leach Island off the Agawa Bay coast line.But also protected.

Link to this message

jackpine

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, January 6, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I was in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park in September of 2005 and saw one caribou. The outfitter was driving us to a put-in point and we saw it walking on the road. It was the only one we saw!
 Link to this message

dan_carpenter

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, January 7, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I can't speak for WCPP, but I have seen the very occasional woodland caribou around the rail line in Wabakimi and all the way up to the Hudson Bay coast. Sightings are rare and almost always it's a solitary caribou, at least in the summer months.

I'm also not familiar with the hunting regs, but I'm pretty sure that caribou are a protected species in all of Ontario.I suspect you'd have to go to Northern Quebec or Labrador to be able to hunt.
 Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hunting Regulations for Ontario can be found here:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html#hun ting

I can't figure out how to post the link properly, so you're going to have to cut and paste. Sorry.

To make things sweet and simple, a quote from the regs:

Elk and Caribou
There is no open season for elk or caribou in Ontario.

Barbara
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 62

Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

As always Barbara...you've got the links! : O ) Now get back to OFN!

Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 19
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks, Irish. I just wish I could have figured out how to post it properly (there's not supposed to a space in the word "hunting".)

Oh, yeah, me and my big mouth have gotten back to OFN.

Barbara
 Link to this message

barbara

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

And information on the woodland caribou:

http://www.speciesatrisk.gc.ca/search/speciesDetai ls_e.cfm?SpeciesID=636

Barbara
 Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 6:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Sure their is caribou in Temagami.Just go talk to Dan O`Connor at the Ronnoco hotel.Tell him Archie sent ya.Im sure he will be more than happy to help you out.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home