Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * PRESENTING THE CASE < Previous Next >

Link to this message

mike

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, January 6, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I thought for the purpose of presenting somewhat of a different slant on the situation, posssibly a new thread would be in order.First I would like to express my extreme appreciation to all of you who have worked so hard and have accumulated such a vast data base of info.I am really impressed.

As Brian mentioned, there are a vast number of people who hit the site and never comment for whatever reason.They may be afraid to comment because of their inability to express their feelings in writing, maybe it is the peranoia concerning privacy today that has stricken the world.Who knows, but the lack of response is out there.This thread is about bringing some of them in.

As I read the comments I have found that at times they seem to be somewhat repetative with a lot of facts and figures that could be complicated to a newcommer who really is not familiar with the area."that is not where I want to go with all the problems up there" As you remember I critized the background document as being redundent and filled with too much information.I attribute that to Government and self interests in the political field.Again I want to say I am not personally critical of anyone who has posted on this site.I merely consider it an objective observation from myself.

Last nite while in bed,I was trying to think of some method to bring some of the non responders into the fold.I came up with something while all along keeping my personal thoughts on theory and reality in perspective.

What if we formulated somewhat of a formal document with everyones input. This would list the following:

The area we are concerned with eliminating detail the average individual would not be interested in.

Next, present the problems in numerical order of importance.Again they should be presented in a manner that everyone can understand. Brevity is of the utmost importance.No one wants to sit down and try and digest something like the background document. Clairty and preciseness are of extreme importance.

Next, propose a tentavive and "realistic" answer to each individual issue and present them as such.

Along these lines I really think that our group as it now stands should formalize into an organization of definitive structure with a name and officers.LEOUA did this years ago and their impact on the LE lake area has been profound. The organization has been responsible for securing funds and implementing the rebuilding of Mowatts Landing.Each year volunteers visit the area campsites and collect trash. Not too many know of this.Each year we have a meeting at one of the cottages. Reps from the Ministry and Parks Canada always attend where we openly discuss the issues.Although as you can imagine, they are not very willing to commit on any particular issue. But it is communication ,the only real answer.The power of an organized entity is far more effective than several loose units.

On to the base subject.I would then post the particular document and along with it a form that could be downloaded, signed and returned to a PO box.This form would emphasize there is no commitment to anyone nor are any funds requested,just that they are in agreement with all or part of our philosophy in saving the area.

I dont have enough direct knowledge to write such a document but would be willing to set up a PO box to accept potential replies.

This may be far fetched but in my opinion is possible."Theory and Reality" Reality being the winner in this case.

I am sure we all know that there are many out there who use this method fraudently to steal millions from the general public,especially during the Holiday season.We have all received those letters and phone calls.I am so vehement about these calls that I now tell them that they have just interrupeted an hour in the sack with my wife.Mostly no replies, but it gets rid of them quickly.

Later, Mike
 Link to this message

jackpine

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Mike, I read your post a number of times, and I have to admit I don't understand it. Can you simply state it's purpose?
 Link to this message

mike

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Jackpine,

I guess I didnt make it clear enough so here goes. My theory is there are many ,many people who hit the site each week only there seems to be a small percentage who ever make comments either pro or con concerning the immediate topic we have been discussing. About 6 or 8.Now lets ask ourselves why there are so few replies on this subject? No interest? I doubt it or why would they be checking out the site?`Maybe they are afraid or unable to express themselves in public.I have a brother who would never express his views on a public site for fear that the CIA would be at his doorstep the next day. He is 55 years old.The literacy level of you people who post on the subject is very high and I personally know many who could match your posts.Unfortunately that is not true in every case.I have come to the personal conclusion that it is very difficult , if not impossible to motivate the non posters to sit down and write a difficult letter expressing their personal thoughts even with the help of the proposed form letters.You will get some but not many.

My slant was formulated with the thought that if a formal organization was established,such as LEOUA and the one representing the tourist operators on the lake, the gov would have to deal directly with one organized entity that has defined goals and solutions for the problems facing us.Believe me, LEOUA has had a profound impact on the area and the gov. deals directly with us.In reality, how many of our individual letters really pull any weight.You can only say the same thing so many times before it is just considered another one to file in the notebook.What are they going to do in the end, put them on a scale and weigh them?

What I was trying to propose was something to motivate the non responders to participate in some manner.By posting somewhat of a formal statement as to everyones concerns as to the problems, proposed solutions and goals,I think it would polarize the issue.Then post a form that indicates the respondent agrees which in turn could be mailed to a PO box.This then could be presented to the gov as a unified response.I really think we could get many more replies in support.I realize there are many problems in trying to do something like this first of which is the forum is not a political entity.

Hope I made it a little more clear for you. Just a thought.

Mike
 Link to this message

mike

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tried to edit the literacy statement should be "dont know many" Somehow I lost it.
Mike

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home