Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Grey Owl Lake < Previous Next >

Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 33
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Has anyone been to Grey Owl Lake? What is the campsite like and also the portage from Temagami in to Grey Owl

Any info would be appreciated

Blitz

Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

There are 3 portages from the Obabika inlet to Grey Owl Lake. 320 into LeRoche,70 and 125 into Reynard.As Reynard narrows into Grey Owl Lake the campsite is on the right.The portages are fairly easy and the campsite has a nice view looking down Reynard Lake.If you plan on fishing Grey Owl Lake has perch and pike.
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 34
Posted on Wednesday, February 1, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the info Mr Pike and welcome to the forum.

Blitz
 Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Blitz. Does anyone know how Greyowl lake got its name? Was this not the place where Grey Owl (Archie Belaney) used as a hideout after being chased by the Bear Islanders in half a dozen canoes back in 1908?
 Link to this message

blitz_boy

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have no idea. I guess I should read his biography, although with Grey Owl I don't know what to believe.
 Link to this message

mr_pike

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

He did what he had to to get the message of conservation heard.He had to disguise himself so people would stop and listen.You cant blame him for that,its a fault of society.Many biographies have been written on Grey Owl.Lovat Dickson wrote Half breed and Wilderness Man.Anahareo wrote Devil in Deerskin.Grey Owl The Curious Life of Archie Belaney by Irene Terier Gordon,The many faces of Archie Belaney Jane Billinghurst,The mystery of Archie Belaney Armand Garnet Ruffo.The most complete book on Grey Owls life is From The Land of Shadows by Donald B.Smith.Grey Owl was a man of guts and vision,Im sure you will enjoy reading up on him.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home