Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 3, 2011 * Sturgeon River < Previous Next >

Link to this message

spacejammib

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 9:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What is the earliest that the Sturgeon River can be paddled, or that anybody has paddled it? Me and a friend are looking at an early spring trip and wanted to know when the ice melt happens. I'd like to know if there is anything else (research stations, satellite photos etc.) that we can monitor the melt with. Anything will be appreciated. Thanks!
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1278

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Well, if anyone could predict break-up they would be God. Every spring Ottertooth has a break-up watch. Go to the home page and follow links to the watch from previous years. There is also a list of break-up dates for the last few years.
 Link to this message

irishfield

Post Number: 280

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just follow Ed.. he gets the dog to run ahead and crack the ice for him!
 Link to this message

alscool

Post Number: 280

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 1:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ed. camps out days before the breakup, never misses it, at least in front of his camp.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 923

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 3:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't think the dog weighs enough to do that Irishfield.

I wouldn't be too keen to go down the Sturgeon River right after break-up especially following a winter when the snow pack was above average.
So you may want to see how the Spring run is shaping up before finalizing your plans.

Yeah! Alscool, I do hope to be out there somewhere just as the ice goes out, but it will not be on the Sturgeon River.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 246

Posted on Friday, January 14, 2011 - 9:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I flew over the Sturgeon late March last year. You could have run it then, if you could access it.

BTW, my first trip this year is planned for April 17. People thought me crazy for planning on April 22 last year, but by then the ice had been out for over a week!
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 924

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 8:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

OK!
I wrote that down in my calendar.
Curly is going to be out on the water somewhere on Sunday, April 17th,2011.
I trust that will be in the Temagami area and not in a melt pond in your backyard?
Good Luck.

If it looks as if it will happen, I will also be out there then. This past year, I had to sit on the sidelines waiting patiently until I had completed family duties, (helping kids move around), before I could get out on April 28th , missing a good 2 1/2 weeks of potential canoeing. Of course getting there may have been a problem as the back roads were still pretty messy.
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1279

Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 9:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This past April was one of those rare years when the roads were dry AND Sudbury forestry was shut down so no logging vehicles to contend with AND the Sturgeon was equivalent to a normal summer level. I got lucky. Except for the day it snowed. I had left my portage crampons at home.
 Link to this message

fireman

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Maybe I am getting old and cautious...but am I the only one who noticed the torn up carcasses of canoes along the Sturgeon River??
Seems to me an early spring run could be the greatest trip of a lifetime or the last trip of a lifetime. I went down the Moon River on April 22nd one year. dumped at the rapid before Moon Falls, almost froze to death before we got a fire going (shores still covered in ice) and the next day travelled to Moon Falls to check out the Bay only to see an infinite expanse of ice.
Paddling back up the river was quite a joyous occasion. My friend and I never spoke to each other for the entire time we were so pissed off.
 Link to this message

spacejammib

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 10:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks a lot guys for the great responses! This gives us a better idea of what the possibilities are for early spring runs. We were hoping to fit in a short river trip before the middle of April but we may have to come back for this one later. From what we have heard it looks like a great trip. Thanks again.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home