Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through February 3, 2011 * Old Bill - Greenwater? & Pilgram River? < Previous Next >

Link to this message

tomcat

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 7:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Looking at an alternative route so starting a new thread here.
Does the route from Old Bill Lake up through Greenwater Lake get heavy use?
And, am I correct that most of these lakes are fairly good for Walleye and/or Pike?
It's been 20 years since I have been up through this route. I do very well remember the maize of beaver activity out of Mendelssohn Lake to the Montreal River...quite interesting.

Also, is the Pilgrim River out of Solace Lake down to the Sturgeon River an open route. I notice it is in Hap's book, but not shown as a route on the old canoe route map.(last week of June)?
Thanks
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 9:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

been up that way twice in mid-august and didn't see a soul either time- maybe just lucky. i remember the campsite on bergeron, very nice.
i have also always wanted to do pilgrim creek- i know it's doable as i remember reading someone's trip notes from 10-15 years ago. i have done the yorston river from the sturgeon to bluesucker and susect pilgrim creek must be similar with many improvised portages, tracking and dragging and camping on beaches. highly recommended and didn't look like anyone had been through in years (this was in '92). anyway i doubt you'll run into anybody on either route in june...
 Link to this message

brian

Post Number: 1281

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

This linked set of maps will help, at least for the areas of Temagami covered. All portages are active. These maps are more up to date than Hap's book.

http://www.ottertooth.com/Temagami/Maps/heartland0 1.htm
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 248

Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tomcat, would you have the chance to do some groundtruthing for the Friends of Temagami in that area? We want to know the condition of the route from Anvil to Stull. There are two routes, east via Greenwater and west via Willow Island Creek. (Route 14 in Hap's book.) Willow Island Creek is known as a "spring" route there.

(Message edited by curly on January 19, 2011)
 Link to this message

tomcat

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 - 5:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Curly....I am open to a discussion on this, if it is the route we take. Really interested in the Pilgrim Creek Route as I have not been down it before.
However, our final route is not decided yet.
tomcat
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2011 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

say, i don't have wilson's map of pilgrim creek but i thought the route started at the bottom of maggie lake, not solace? or are there two routes?
as for anvil - skull via bergeron, niccolite, this is a beautiful route and was problem-free as of a few years ago. the western route up willow island creek was not passable the time i checked it out which was in late july.
 Link to this message

tomcat

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, January 21, 2011 - 1:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks....I have the correct map information, but you are correct. Pilgram Creek does go out of Maggie Lake.
The route information, including the topo map is "Solace Creek" which runs into "Pilgrim Creek".
20 years ago I tried the Chris Willis Lake to Sucker Gut and had to back track and go around.

Thanks
Again.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 150

Posted on Saturday, January 22, 2011 - 8:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

tomcat
We decided to take the Chris Willis to Sucker Gut option when we did the Lady Evelyn/ Maple Mountain trip back in late August ’98. We thought we would fish CW for walleye as we paddled north and then take the creek to Suckergut. We figured we could “wade” in the creek if the water was too shallow. Not only did we not catch a thing, but upon entering the creek, we realized there wasn’t enough water to float our heavily ladened canoe with both of us in it. I stepped out of the canoe, and almost disappeared in the loon____!. Not wanting to turn back and continue on the river, we ended up walking the shoreline, through the alders, while dragging the canoe in the very shallow creek! It was a long 2 hours, and made the portages at Centre and Helen’s Falls look easy.
 Link to this message

curly

Post Number: 249

Posted on Sunday, January 23, 2011 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

grncu, was Willow Island Creek impassable due to low water?
 Link to this message

grncnu

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, January 24, 2011 - 1:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

well, we tried to get to the bottom of the creek outlet on little skull in 2001 and it was impassable a long way before where i figure the first portage is.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home