Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * 6 day trip for british novices < Previous Next >

Link to this message

ben

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everybody I and 3 freinds are visiting temagami at the end of may for the first time and would be mostgrateful of any recomendations of routes suitable for novices seeking a bit of solitude.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 272

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 8:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ben:
You need to tell us how long you want to go out for. Will you have your own transportation? Do you want to do a loop trip or if you have 2 vehicles you could start and finish in different locations.
Where else have you and you friends canoed before? Have you portaged much before?

There are lots of trips to go on, but a bit more info would help direct you to a suitable area.

Ed.

Link to this message

ben

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Ed we are there for 6 full days & wood like to fly in-out as required, We are not greatly experienced canoeists and have not portaged before although we are all fit and able and are looking forward to experiencing it.

With Thanks Ben
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 274

Posted on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ben:
Lets try this one. From Temagami fly to Hobart in the early morning. Get a campsite and hike up Maple Mountain.Stay on Hobart for night 1. Move the next day to Sucker Gut and portage into Lady Evelyn over 2 portages.Camp in Diamond for night 2 and leave in the morning going to Wakimika through 2 more portages. Stay on Wakimika for night 3 leaving in the morning for Obabika and find a site in the North end of the Lake for day 4. The following morning do the Old Growth trails and visit the Spirit Rock on Chee Skong Abikong.Stay on Obabika for night 5 leaving in the morning. Travel South and go into Lake Temagami via Obabika Inlet. Travel down the inlet to the North West arm staying out on the Lake for day 6. Pre-arrange to get picked up the next morning and flown back to Temagami.

This should be an interesting but relatively easy trip. Some Portages,but mostly easy except for the one out of Diamond and only the Wakimika River to go down. No rapids or tricky manoeuvers.
Also there is lots of time to do this route.

Some others may also have suggestions.

You could also avoid the plane thing altogether and go from the Mine Road north on Lake Temagami to Sharp Rock Inlet and into Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika and back into Temagami.This can be done in 3 days quickly or spread out a bit to take 6 days if you want.

Also with 4 of you you would need 2 planes to carry the 2 canoes, adding to the cost.

If these options don't look right for you come back and ask some more questions.
 Link to this message

ben

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 5:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed will have a look but sounds good.
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 138

Posted on Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

What would the plane ride cost Ed?

Is Lakeland Airways the only company flying local charters this season?
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 276

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I don't know what they charge Kim. I haven't used them for a long time.
I think there is a Fly in Service operating from the Elk Lake area and one or more from the Sudbury area.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 50

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Kim
This was last year's rate from Temagami.
The cost for two people and a max 16' canoe into Obabika lake is $275.53 tax included.

Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 139

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

tsm
thanks
That might help ben make a decision on his trip and route.
 Link to this message

daveb

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Six nights is enough time to fly into Florence and come down the Lady Evelyn River back to Temagami.

Not an easy trip, but healthy and fit novices who can read a map could do it without killing themselves. Wouldn't be particulary long days either.

Breathtaking scenery.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 278

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ben:
Daves suggestion to fly into Florence would work too if you got picked up and flown out from maybe Diamond or the north end of Lake Temagami.
This trip would be a bit more remote than the one I suggested earlier.All of the rapids have portages so you would not have to run them. Some are not runnable.

To help you to decide you should get a copy of the "Temagami Canoe Route Planning Map" and Hap Wilsons book "Canoeing,Kayaking and Hiking Temagami" if you have not already done so, prior to determining where you would like to go.
 Link to this message

doug_2

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Depending on how novice this group is, I think that trip from Florence down might be a bit tricky. There are some very steep portages that might not be suitable for novices.
Also, as Ed mentions, this is a remote route, far from help. There is no doubt though, that it is an outstanding trip.
 Link to this message

ben

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks everyone, can anyone advise where i can by the planning map online have tried but no luck so far.I have Haps book very helpful but only has one route for novices.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 279

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Ben:
I don't think you can get the planning map online.It is available from the Ontario Minister of Natural Resources.You could try emailing John Salo, john.salo@mnr.gov.on.ca It costs about $7CDN.John is the Temagami area Parks Superintendent. His phone number is 705-569-3205 or Fax 705-569-2886.They take Visa or Mastercard and would likely have to mail it to you.

Doug_2 is right, there are some difficult portages on the Lady Evelyn River whether you go by the South or the North Branch but portaging is to some extent a state of mind. Pack well, wear good boots since the terrain is rough,take your time and don't carry more than you are comfortable with.Better to do the portage 2 or 3 times than to try carrying too many pounds in one carry.If you rent canoes ask for Kevlar ones which will be likely under 50 pounds and easy to carry.Get the outfitter to show you some basic strokes and practice them a bit where you rent the canoes. (likely at Temagami on the town docks)
Also in late May you will see other canoeists along these routes. Not many but enough to know that help is not that far away.

For about $125/week plus airtime charges you can also rent a Satellite phone from outfitters for emergency use if you think you might feel uncomfortable.
 Link to this message

ben

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks for the contact have emailed john awaiting reply. Can you give me an idea of the distances a bunch of fairly fit novices could expect to cover in a day at a leisurely pace, how long is a piece of string I know but if you could give me some sort indication I would be most grateful.
Cheers Ben.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 283

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

It depends a lot on the group dynamics, the weather , the number of portages etc.
On paddling days you should be able to do 25 km easily,if you are not on a big lake with a strong headwind against you.Two people in a canoe can paddle about 5km/hour.
Portaging will slow you down.It too depends on how efficient/organized you are in getting packed up well, with no danglies hanging around,speed at getting in and out of the canoes at the take-outs and put-ins etc.
With 4 of you on a 6 day trip, you should be able to do one carry each, so you might be able to clear the average portage (<500m)in about 1/2 hour and certainly under an hour.
Others here may have different numbers.
 Link to this message

ben

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Thanks Ed what do you think of the Anima Nipissing, Montreal River loop Route 13 in haps book. Classified as novice.
cheers Ben.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 29

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I would not take Montreal River. It is not that great and it's rather dull to paddle. Anima Nipissing is a nice lake and lakes west of it are pretty with some tricky portages.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 284

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

The portage from /into Anima-Nipissing / Bay Lake is a dog at almost 3km in length.
 Link to this message

ed

Post Number: 285

Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

However, you could ask an outfitter if they could drive you in to Anima-Nipissing and drop you off there and at what $ cost.That would eliminate the long portage.Then go south through Anima to Red Squirrel Lake,into Ferguson Bay on Temagami , then to Whitefish Bay, Diamond, Wakimika, Obabika and out to the Mine road (Central Access Road) and get picked up there leaving out the fly-in -out stuff.
You could also do the fly-in thing as per the first trip, landing in Hobart and go out via the Central Access Road using an outfitter with a predetermined pick -up time to take you back to Temagami. This would reduce the trip cost a bit.
 Link to this message

solopaddler

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 6:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

I liked Ed's first idea, sounded good. Alot to see with mountain falls at mouth of river, etc. On diamond there are the native pictographs, and have seen bears and other wildlife coming down threw there. I thought I would throw in a suggestion of not heading toward the portages after Diamond (although the old growth and a visit to Alex's cabin and a talk with him would be nice) I wondered of heading east? out of Diamond to Sandy bay inlet and spend a night on the beach on north lake Tem., and be brought back to Temagami by out fitter van. Would cut down on portages and extra plane ride. But if cost is no problem and they feel up to I like your idea, also forewarn that a hard south wind can keep you in old growth on Diamond for an extra day. good luck , great area.

(Message edited by solopaddler on March 27, 2006)
 Link to this message

ben

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello everyone I am awaiting delivery of planning map so i can see in more detail the routes suggested, I can't seem to find Hobart on the maps i have can you give me an idea of its position. cheers Ben.
 Link to this message

solopaddler

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Ben, If you look off the 'Main' Temagami page , on the left side there is a section "wilderness" and under that "maple mountain" It has an indepth look at the mountain and also a map, showing Hobart lake on it. It is one lake before the trail up Maple Mountain, north of Sucker Gut Lake. Hope that helps for now. I have an elderly British uncle who loves the out doors in this area and I took him for a short day trip last summer while we visited my sister in New Liskeard. Be aware that your trip time is planned during what might be a pretty buggy time up there with black flies. please correct if my dates are off on hatch? Also weather changes quick , as in article of mine Brian posted re: last major fire. Can be +28c or as that year June 6th , 6" of snow. Enjoy
 Link to this message

ben

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, May 9, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

A big thanks to everyone for there assistance, I now have the planning map from john thanks once again. I like the look of eds first idea, i have emailed outfitter for prices on flights,transport and availability will keep updated.
Cheers
Ben
 Link to this message

solopaddler

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, June 15, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Where did you end up going etc, ?

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home