Forums Forums Help/Rules Help Edit Profile My Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search  
Ottertooth Forums * Temagami canoe routes & backcountry travel * Archive through July 25, 2006 * Nastawgan < Previous Next >

Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 143

Posted on Friday, April 7, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Just read the news
Great work.
Makes sense to me.
 Link to this message

tsm

Post Number: 52

Posted on Friday, April 7, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good job Chris and Alex.
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, April 9, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the compliments - wish I could take the credit, but I can't.

We have some very talentanted and dedicated people behind this effort, including Alex - our webman and primary cartographer.

We also have some cottagers, residents, buisness-people and canoesits such as yourselves who have all conspired to shape this efforts. We have sought input from Land Use Permit holders, businesses, 1st Nations and others with in depth knowledge of Temagami and its myriad issues. We hope to soon have these people and many more - including yourselves, “officially” on board and helping us move this thing.

This is the essential philosophy behind The Network; it is a community initiative and all are welcome and encouraged to participate, as they are able in the fashion that suits them best. We don’t want to get hung up politics, semantics and minor philosophical differences. If we can agree that the Temagami Experience is something worth hanging onto, that should be enough to move us together.

We hope that many who read this might feel compelled to check out the site and give it a read to see where we are coming from. Perhaps you would like to offer some suggestions, ideas, statements of endorsement, or even just sign on to give us weight and increase our chances of having some pull with the powers that be.

The site and The Network itself is not intended to be static and the shape of our efforts should be melded by the collective will of the Community. We will soon have much more capabilty as some promising new developments are at hand.

Thanks for taking the time and showing an interest in this endeavor.

Network with you soon...

Chris
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 31

Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

I have joined too, Chris. Great, and I don't know where you find the time.

(Message edited by otter mel on April 12, 2006)
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hey Mel!

Sorry for the late reply - time is definately at a premium right now and it looks like my 10 days in Temagami this spring is in jeopardy as well.

Too much to do! Too little time...

Thanks for taking the time to check in at nastawgan.ca.

We hope to get more tools in operation when time permits. Ugh! There's the "T" word again.

Take care and take the time where you can find it.

Chris
 Link to this message

dave_l

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chris, what happened to Nastawgan Trails Inc? Does it still exist and if so what is its relationship if any to the Nastawgan Network?

P.S. Chris - in your picture are you paddling the bark canoe made by Rick Whitehead (could be my eyes)?
 Link to this message

chris

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hi Dave,

Nastawgan Trails is still running strong and we soon hope to have them linked as a Network Friend.

Nastawgan Trails primary focus is on the development of hiking trails, whereas the focus of The Nastawgan Network is on the presevation, rehabilitation and maintenance of the original nastawgan of Temagami.

PS
Thanks for registering with the Network and yes that is Rick's canoe - leaks a bit though.

Chris

(Message edited by chris on April 19, 2006)
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 32

Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Chris,
If you can't make it this spring at least try to be at the Changing of the Seasons in the fall (if it takes place, which I hope it will)
 Link to this message

kim

Post Number: 147

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

otter_mel

I am visiting Alex on the May 6 weekend.
I will confirm that the Changing of the Season's Celebration is still on for Sept 23.
 Link to this message

otter_mel

Post Number: 33

Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post

Good, Kim,
I hope to be there this year even if only for 4 days. I'm tired of not being able to make it!!!
 Link to this message

nastawgan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, May 6, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Hello Fellow Travellers,

A big Network "Hello" to all who have visited http://nastawgan.ca/ and taken the time to get acquainted with our positions and objectives.

We wish to extend a very special and collective "Thank-you" to those who have taken the time and effort to e-mail their contact info to onecanoe@nastawgan.ca. As our capabilities develop and The Network expands, we will establish a communications strategy. This will enable us all to stay in touch, coordinate efforts and utilize our many and diverse skills as we work to promote and protect our wilderness heritage in Temagami.

To those who have not contacted us, please take a moment to do so. The Network is an all-inclusive community and we welcome all regardless of one's own political or ideological philosophy. If you value wilderness and the traditions of Backcountry travel, then we value your involvement.

One never knows; there may be mutual benefit to be gained in most unlikely places. It is time to move foreword.

Sincerely

Chris Melanson
On behalf of
The Nastawgan Network
 Link to this message

tim

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/envregistry/027760ep.htm
 Link to this message

andrewh

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post

Tim, unfortunately this document doesn't apply because forest activities are covered under their own Class Environmental Assessment. There are similar provisions under Forest Management Planning Manual but it appears in the case of Temagami that they don't hold very much clout.

Forums | Last Day | Last Week | Search | User List | Help/Rules Home